Chapter 22: To The Rescue

Chapter 22

To The Rescue

"Are they dead?" The girl who had screamed was now asking questions. 

"I don't know, Ivy." That was Harmony. Reed could recognize her high pitched voice from a mile away. "Reed?" Suddenly, she was beside him. She'd pulled her hair out of her face and tied it with a band at the nape of her neck. "C'mon Reed you're looking right at me. Talk!"

"I don't know if Suzette is breathing." He was quiet, but Harmony had still understood him. 

She nodded as it sunk it. "Oh God." She snapped her head behind her, to where the Ivy girl must've been standing. "Ivy, go check on Suzie. NOW."

Ivy shuffled over to Suzette, tears forming at the waterlines of her eyes. She tilted her head, placing her ear close to Suzette's mouth. "She's breathing." Ivy filled with relief. She shook Suzette's shoulder lightly. "Suzie?" There was no response.

"Ivy, she's unconscious." Harmony determined. She looked back down at Reed. "And he's not looking much better."

"Then we have to call an ambulance!" Ivy cried. "No question!"

Harmony was reserved. "But Catty will freak if he hears sirens. Some of the things we do here aren't exactly legal."

"You think I don't know that?" Ivy's anger was building. "But Harmony, if we don't get them help, who knows how much worse they could get?"

"You're right." Harmony said. "But there has to be another way. Don't call 911."

"I already am." Reed could hear Ivy dialling on her cell phone. At first, Harmony looked like she was going to get up and tackle her, but then she looked over at Suzette and then back to Reed. She shook her head and stayed. 

"My name is Ivy Terrance, and I'm at 253 Port Avenue and I've just found two of my friends badly injured. One of them in unconscious." Ivy was calm, but thing that surprised Reed more was that she referred to him as her friend, yet they didn't even know each other. Ivy listened intently to what the operator told her. "Yes, she's breathing. The other one, he's still awake ." Ivy paused to take a few deep breaths and dab at her eyes. "Yes, I'll stay on until they get here." Reed tuned out the conversation that Ivy had with the operator and tried to focus on his own breathing.

"Reed." Harmony's voice brought him back into reality. He noticed that she had some of his blood stained on her dress. "What happened?"

It was then that Reed realized Pauly was gone. Long gone, probably. Reed could bet that he sprinted the moment he heard Ivy's scream. "Pauly punched me. Suzette came and yelled at him, so he punched her. He thought the results of the fight were rigged." Reed gripped the side of his face as he spoke, trying to dull the pain. 

"We're just a group of stupid kids, aren't we?" Harmony had never said anything so true.