Chapter 23: Midnight Sunshine

Chapter 23

Midnight Sunshine

Her vision was white, like a blank canvas. She was sure she had died, but now everything was coming into focus. There was a machine beeping beside her. Attached was a bag of clear liquid, which was hooked to a thick tube that pierced into her skin. The walls surrounding her were plastered with nautical themed wallpaper, and there was a vase of violets on her beside table. Slowly, Suzette moved her hand to pick up the pocket sized card that was propped up next to the gorgeous flowers. It was pastel green on the front with a magenta paisley pattern swooping across. Suzette flicked it open:

Suzie-

We will see you when you wake up. 

Much love,

Mom, Dad and Damien

Suzette sat the card back down as everything came flooding back. Pauly, the hard punch to her face, the dreadful fall into the pavement, and then looking over and seeing Reed covered in blood. 

Reed.

Her eyes widened at the thought of him. She wondered where he was. She wondered how he was. Thinking on her feet, she pressed the call button on the side of her bed. Almost immediately, a nurse in sea foam green scrubs came running in. 

"You're awake!" She exclaimed, running over to Suzette's IV and messing with a few things. "This is fantastic! How do you feel?"

"Uh, are you my nurse?" Suzette asked.

"Oh! Yes, silly me! I forgot we haven't officially met yet, seeing as you've been asleep for four days!" Her face was round and peppy. "I'm Tina, your nurse."

"Nice to meet you." Suzette said, twirling her hospital bracelet. "Where's my family?"

"They're probably in bed." Tina said as she glanced at the clock. "It's after midnight. I'll call them in the morning and then they can come visit you."

"Okay." Suzette smiled. "That'd be nice." She paused before she asked her next question. "Could you tell me where Reed Fields' room is?"

Tina stopped what she was doing and pursed her lips. "You remember how you got here, right?"

"Of course." Suzette nodded. "It's a hard memory to forget."

"Right. Well, you were with that boy when it happened." Tina said.

"I know. But he wasn't the one who hurt me." Suzette pressed.

"We know that." Tina reassured her. "But still, your parents aren't too happy with that Reed right now." 

"Tina, please." Suzette begged. "Reed means a lot to me, I really want to talk to him."

Tina caved quickly. "Alright, fine. But he is coming to you. You're too weak to get up and walk around right now."

"Thank you." Suzette said. And she sincerely meant it. She needed to see him. 

Tina nodded to her and exited the room. Suzette could see her walking quickly down the hall through her windows. A couple minutes later, though, it wasn't Tina who she saw walk by. It was Reed. He swooped into the room, his usually well groomed hair a complete mess. He wore basketball shorts and a ragged white tee shirt. The whole bottom half of his face was purple and red with bruises and stitches, but he still looked very handsome. 

He walked in a little further and placed himself at the edge of Suzette's bed. "Good morning sunshine."