Open up

Liam P.O.V

The song started, and both the drummer and the pianist started to sing. My attention was fully directed on the afraid boy in the front. Mateo breathed one last time and started to sing.

"I pray to God, that he makes me feel alright
Hope he gets me through this one more night
I pray to God, he's like one too many drinks
And my intuition starts to sink"

I was amazed by how well he could sing from the first word. There were a lot of emotions on his face, I could feel his pain through his beautiful voice. He expressed so much more than usual.

"I'm on my knees, begging pretty please
I'm so love drunk stupid off these memories
Mother Mary please, have mercy over me
The Sun came up and I can't believe you're over me

When I'm hung over you
When I'm hung over you"

I knew it was about his broken heart. But I admired how he showed it so purely during the performance. He had me glued on my sit.
I didn't even realize the song was already over, too busy thinking about how to make Mateo the happiest man in the world.

"Liam, it's over, let's go" Jay smirked.

I saw Mateo's brother was hugging him on stage, but couldn't look more as Jay started to scream.

"Where is Stella ?!"

I started to panic. The plan was to sneak in and get out as soon as Mateo had finished.
I finally spotted her, just next to Mateo, and his parents I assumed. We walked toward them.

"How could you hide this talent from me ?! From me ?! Jesus Christ you nailed it !" I heard her say.

"Please Stella, I really don't want to talk ab- YOU !" He suddenly exclaimed as soon as his gaze fell on me.

"I don't know how you even dared to show up in front of me you traitor !"

"Well, I'm supposed to drive her back home, and originally, you weren't supposed to see us" I explained, containing myself from laughing.

He was so embarrassed, it was so cute.

"That's even worst !" He exclaimed.

I realized his parents were staring at me.

"Mom, Dad, this is Liam," Mateo said. He probably felt the awkwardness of the moment.

"It's nice to meet you !" Both of them playfully said.

"Nice to meet you too" I politely responded.

"Could you drop me off at my place? I really don't want to stay here any longer" Mateo asked me.

"Of course let's go everyone"

We walked toward the exit, and soon we were in my car. I drove our friends back to their place. We both watched Jay entering his house. We were finally alone.

"I know you didn't want us to come, but I'm so happy I did. You sang incredibly well"

"Thank you. You're just lucky it went well. If I failed, I would have punched you" he said with his beautiful smile.

"Well, what you did was very brave. You reveal much more when you sing. That's why you keep it to yourself isn't it ?" 

"Am I that easy to read ?" He asked.

"No, it's just that I understand you. Since you were brave enough to do it, I would like to do it too. Do you want to sleep at my place tonight? I would like to show you something" I shyly asked.

"Well, I wouldn't say no for the world" he replied with enthusiasm.

So I drove straight to my place. I couldn't believe what I was going to do. I wasn't as secretive as Mateo about my passion, but what I was going to do was a first.
We soon arrived at my house, and we came inside.

"Liam! Finally !"

I immediately recognized my father's voice. I ran straight to the living room, where I saw my dad, cuddled with my mom on the couch.

"Dad !" Was all I said before we hugged each other.

I hadn't seen him in weeks, I was so happy at that moment.

"I can't believe you're here! Why? How long are you staying ?" I asked.

"Just for the weekend, but I couldn't bear to be away from you, especially with your new school transition. I'm sorry I couldn't be here when you changed" He explained.

That made me think of Mateo. I turned around and saw him patiently waiting by the door.

"Well don't worry, I met great people that helped me a lot. And one of them is Mateo" I said, extending my arm toward the door, where my cute little crush was.

"Oh, it's a pleasure to meet you! Thanks for all you did for my son" my father warmly said as Mateo moved closer and shook his hand.

"It's my pleasure sir" he politely responded.

"You can call me Dane you know," my dad told him.

"Ok, Mateo is sleeping here tonight, but tomorrow, we will do something together ok ?"

"Your brother will be here tomorrow, we will have a family dinner" my father explained. 

My happiness suddenly transformed into anger as I remembered I had a brother. We said goodnight and went to my bedroom.
I walked toward my desk and took my drawings from one of the drawers.
I gave the pouch to Mateo.

"You're officially the first person allowed to look at my drawings," I said.

He softly opened it and started to look at them. I felt I was blushing hard as I waited for him to say something.

"Woah. It's sublime. The landscape here is breathtaking !" He suddenly exclaimed.

"This is where I used to go with my father during the summer. He would always find time to spend a week or two, far from everything, with me" I explained.

"I love this one !"

It was the same landscape, just my father was there, sleeping on the grass.

"I'm very touched about you sharing this with me. I can feel it's personal, the same way singing is to me" he said.

He was so understanding, and that was the best part of him. We spent the rest of the night talking about us.