Tomorrow

Mateo P.O.V

Saturday. The day of the funeral. Liam has been very distant since his father died. An entire hotel was booked to host all the persons coming. Her mother made sure our rooms were as far as possible from each other.
I barely saw him for days, and each time I tried to go see him in his room, he wasn't there.
I felt uncomfortable. I was a complete stranger to everybody and everyone was staring at me each time I was out of my room.
My heart was aching. I thought our kiss really meant something and hoped Liam's behavior was only due to the situation.
But every hour spent far from him was making it less probable. I was alone, staying in my room, talking to my friends as much as I could.
My parents called me again, this time to make sure I was alright.
Fortunately, I at least knew where to go.
I was walking in New York, miserable about my life.
When I arrived, I just couldn't believe it. The place was huge, with luxurious chandeliers, stained glasses, painting, and a stage, where a grand piano was placed next to the coffin. Photos of Liam's dad were scattered everywhere. Hundreds of people were here. Even TV was there, recording lives the whole thing.
I suddenly realized I didn't know where to go. I slowly walked inside, looking around for Liam or his brother.
Someone touched my shoulder. I quickly turned around to see Philip.

"Hey, you seem lost," he said with concern.

"I am. I don't really know where to be actually" I admitted.

"Don't worry, you are next to Liam, the first row" he indicated.

"What? Why? I'm a stranger here !" I said, a bit panicked about being too visible, where nobody wanted me to be seen.

The entire place was packed with snobby rich people.

"What you're doing for Liam right now is more than enough" he genuinely said.

I wanted to point out that I didn't see him the last few days, but Philip was already walking toward the first row.
I sat as discreetly as I could and waited. Liam wasn't there, and I could feel people watching me.
After the most awkward moment of my life, Liam finally arrived. He seemed like he didn't sleep since the last time I talked to him, and sat next to me without saying a word.
I stared at him, waiting for him to make sounds with his mouth, but nothing came. I felt tears coming as I realized it was like I didn't exist.
Soon enough, the funeral started.
I noticed Liam remained impassive to the persons paying their respects to Dane.
After an hour and a half, after his mother and brother spoke, Liam stood up.
I didn't know he was going to talk. But instead of going to the microphone in front of everyone, he went to the grand piano, where another microphone was placed.

"Hi everyone," he said with a shaking voice.

I almost cried seeing him hurt that way.

"My last conversation with my dad was about enjoying life. He told me not to live in the past, to enjoy what I have, because it could go the following day. His death made me realize he was right. So I thought a lot, cried a lot, and decided to do my father's honor. Today is the day I'm free. Today is the day I declare my love for this so special person. The person that made me feel alive these past few months, the one who helped me in every way possible, the one who traveled the whole country alone to be there for me. His name is Mateo. Mateo, I know I did a lot of mistakes, I hope you will forgive me one day. This song is for you" he admitted to the whispering crowd, looking straight into my eyes during the last two sentences.

I froze. I couldn't believe it. I was relieved, incredibly happy, and completely lost.
Tears were already rolling down my cheeks as he started the first few notes.