Show must go on

Mateo P.O.V

I was terrified. Guilt invaded my entire body after the discussion I had with my friends during lunch because I knew Liam was suspicious and I was very scared he would find out about the singing duet competition.
The next week was horrible as well. I felt Liam was much more distant and cold, and I was dancing with Lucas almost every night to be perfect on stage.
I was uncomfortable with Lucas and the dance, I was terrified about doing it publicly, and I felt guilty not talking about it with the man I liked.
I forced myself to go to school the next Friday but wasn't in at all.
We were taking a break in the afternoon, just before our last period. The four of us were walking in the hallway when Stella spoke.

"So no party tonight ?" Stella complained again.

"No Stella, no party tonight" I answered with tiredness.

"But why can't you be at your house tonight? You have a secret date with someone ?" She teased.

I almost threw up. I felt Liam's gaze falling on me from behind.

"Can you stop trying to intrude into my life ?!" I harshly answered.

Stella had complained all week about it, and I was embarrassed every time. The situation was hard enough, and I was nervous as fuck. I didn't control my reaction.

"Ok, calm down !" She answered coldly.

At the end of the day, tensions were still palpable. I came back home, and Lucas was already there, talking with my brother in the kitchen.

"How are you feeling ?" Lucas asked me with a big smile.

The more I spent time with him, the more I found him creepy.

"Miserable" I blandly answered before going to my bedroom.

I changed, took a few moments to brace myself for the show, and came back into the kitchen.

"Ok let's go !" My brother exclaimed with enthusiasm.

Soon we were all in my brother's car, going to his college. I knew my parents weren't going to be there tonight, since they left the day before to see some friends in California.

"Don't worry, everything's going to be all right" Lucas calmly affirmed.

"Yeah, bro! I believe in you" Thomas nicely said.

It didn't make me feel better at all. I was more worried about Liam seeing the performance than me failing in front of hundreds of people.
When we arrived and went backstage, I realized it was more about thousands than hundreds of people.
My stomach turned, and stress invaded my mind. I just wanted to cry and run into Liam's arms.

"Ok, let's practice one last time," Lucas said.

After, we looked at the program and saw we were the third duet to sing.
Anxiety increased during the first two performances, and I felt my entire body shook as we climbed on the stage.
They turned off the lights, and one spot reappeared, on Lucas.
The song started.

"I thought my heart might break
Cause slowly this kills
Not everyone needs space
Oh no"

He was killing it, that was sure. I was about to throw up from stress when it was my turn to sing. I closed my eyes, tried to calm down, and sang.

"You're what the doctor gave
I swallow your pill
I never loved this way
Oh no"

I felt a bit better after the first sentence, a bit more confident. Everything was going fine until the chorus.

"Baby I'm back now
Feeling how I used to feel
You got me back now
Stick around
This is for real
You put it down down down down
My painkiller
You put it down down down down
My painkiller"

We started to dance together, and I suddenly felt his hands on my bottom, when they should have been on my hips.
The rest of the performance was a discovery. Lucas added more proximity and sensuality than ever before, and I tried as hard as I could to stay in my performance.
I patiently waited for this to finish, and at the end of the song, Lucas took me in his arms, like he was supposed to, but the moment our faces were close, he kissed me.
The lights went off, and the audience gave us a standing ovation.
I dashed out of the stage and ran to the toilets.
Of course, Lucas went in a few moments later.

"Hey what's going on ?"

I slapped him.

"Son of a bitch! Your hands were supposed to be on my hips and you... you... fucking kissed me ?!" I screamed.

"Hey calm down! You need to get laid, you're no fun !" He shot back.

"I can't believe it! Go fuck yourself !" I said as I dashed out of the room.

I was on my way to get out when someone grabbed my arm.

"Hey bro what's wrong ?"

"You knew about it? About how he was going to touch me and kiss me ?" I said with tears blurring my vision.

My brother stayed silent for a few moments.

"Well he told me he really liked you, and thought doing this competition was a good way to know you better, and let him a chance since you rejected him" he finally admitted.

"So it was all about flirting? Seriously ?! I'm so disappointed in you! You know I hate singing in public, and you just manipulated me because your friend wanted to fuck me ?!" I exclaimed. 

"Well, he's a nice guy, good looking, and I knew you didn't have anyone, so I thought 'why not ?'. I'm so sorry, I really thought I was doing the right thing"

"You don't know anything about my private life! And I don't need your help! You lied to me !" I yelled before running out.

I walked for an hour and a half to come back home.