Confession

Mateo P.O.V

I barely slept for the whole weekend, mostly thinking about Liam. Being his boyfriend would be a dream come true, but I couldn't believe that Liam could be interested in me, and was so scared of being heartbroken again.
When Monday finally arrived, I was up way before my alarm rang, and started to prepare myself. Things were still weird with my family, and the hatred between me and my sister was still there.
I went to school earlier than usual and waited at Liam's locker.
I was lost in my thoughts when Jay arrived.

"Penny for you thought ?" He asked with a smirk.

"Yeah. How was your weekend ?"

"Well..."

"Oh my god, you finally made a move on your girl ?!" I exclaimed out loud.

"Shut up! But yes, we kissed" he admitted.

"You took your time! How did that happen?"

"We went to a restaurant, and she kissed me when we got out" he explained.

"You realize that your cute nerd is more courageous than you'll ever be ?" I teased.

"Well yes, but I don't know where we stand. Are we official? Exclusive ?"

"It's her you have to talk about it with, not me. And I'm certainly the worst person to give advice about relationships" I laughed.

"And you? Nothing new ?" He asked like he was taking his revenge.

"No" I tried to sound casual, but of course, my body betrayed me.

"Liar" he laughed, before walking toward our classroom.

"What was that about ?" I asked myself.

But before I could do anything, the bell rang.
I was unable to stand still during the whole period. Stella, who was late that day, complained dozens of times about my shaking legs.
When the period finally ended, I ran outside, searching for Liam.
I finally spotted him near his locker.

"Liam! Finally! Where were you ?" I exclaimed.

"Oh hey! I was late this morning"

He seemed very stressed, and so was I.

"We need to talk" we finally said at the same time.

"In private" Liam added just after.

We spotted an empty classroom and entered. We carefully closed the door.

"So who starts?" Liam asked.

"Me. I met someone this weekend. His name is Clay, and he warned me about you, saying that you manipulated him and broke his heart" I said.

"I can't believe it! Listen, I'm not very proud of myself, but he was a regular hook up during my first two years in high school. I was very clear about just having sex, but noticed he started to ask for more and decided to stop everything when I came here" he explained.

"So you hooked up with a guy ?" I asked, stunned about that confession.

"Yeah, and about that..."

I never saw Liam so hesitant in his life. He was blushing and seemed to look for words.

"Listen, I really like you, like really really like you, and I feel we have something special. I want to date you, Mateo Wilson" he finally blurted.

I stayed silent for a few moments, still processing all I learnt today.

"Ok, I would love to share something with you, but my vision of dating is different from what people do. If I kiss someone, that means we're an exclusive couple, which means that this person is my boyfriend. I don't kiss or fuck just for fun and pleasure. I'm old-fashioned, I know, but that's me"

"I like you even more. It's so rare to have serious people like you these days" he honestly replied.

"But we need to know each other better. I don't want to be broken again, and you being interested in me is so unreal" I explained.

"Don't worry, we'll take our time. I really want to do things the right way with you" he affirmed, looking relieved.

I tried to stay casual the whole conversation, but I saw in his eyes that he saw how excited I was. I couldn't believe it. I wanted to give him everything at that moment but contained myself as much as I could.
I was so happy about our conversation I didn't even realize the last period was already over. It was already lunchtime.
Jay, Stella, and I sat at our usual table, and soon, Liam joined us.

"Mateo, what's happening? This morning, you were literally stressed out, and now, you're miles away from what's happening. You didn't listen a word of our period" Stella complained loudly.

"Yeah sorry, I'm with you now" I replied.

I saw Liam smirked from the corner of my eye.

"I just asked you if you would like to hang out at my place tonight, twice" She reproached me.

"I'm sorry, yes of course !" I replied.

"You're invited as well" she added, looking at Liam.

"I'll be there"

We started to eat when Jay's cute nerd came to our table.

"Can I eat with you ?" She nicely asked Jay.

He seemed completely panicked and stayed silent for a few moments.

"Of course you can !" I finally replied for him.

"Thank you, I'm Lara" she smiled.

She sat very close to Jay and started to eat as well. We learned that she was a fan of comic books, cinema and that she enjoyed running, cooking pastries, and loved her dog. She was perfect for my little Jay. It was so cute to see him flush next to her.
Suddenly, the whole cafeteria went silent.
I turned around to see Nathan standing on a table, with a microphone in his hand. He seemed even more stressed out than I was this morning, and I had a feeling of what was going to happen.

"Hi everyone, I'm sorry to disturb you, I just want to fix something I did last year. My cowardice hurt someone way too much. Mateo, I'm sincerely sorry for what I did. He never kissed me without my consent. We were dating for a few months when the kiss happened at that party. I lied because I was so scared of coming out, and everything went so fast. But that's not an excuse. And he never tried to kiss Mike. I know it because I saw everything. So stop judging people when the only thing you know about them is rumors"