Chapter 5

They had ridden in silence for the better part of the day. Brienne had taken the lead sitting proudly atop her chestnut mount, chin held high, eyes set straight ahead. Her angry seething had finally subsided, leaving her a bit unsure of where to begin speaking after staying quiet for so long. Truthfully, she was surprised that he had acted almost courteously since they had met again. She began to think that maybe he was trying, perhaps his best, to help her feel comfortable. She lowered her head at the thought, part of her grateful, part of her feeling a bit guilty for expecting the worst.

Tormund had spent the day enjoying the view of Brienne of Tarth from behind. Gods, she was the most captivating woman he had ever laid eyes on. He had dreamed of her each time he had closed his eyes since the first day he saw her at Castle Black. What in the Seven Hells was wrong with that pretty boy Lannister fool. Brienne had been the Kingkiller's for the taking, and he had used her and thrown her away. Tormund would have held on to her for dear life. She was strong, independent, and could fight better than anyone he had ever seen. She was not one of those fragile kneeler women who succumbed to the cold, or died bringing their children into the world. A man could conquer the world with a woman like that at his side. He loved her with all of his heart.
————————————-
The sky was beginning to darken in the east, the clouds overhead taking on a purplish hue. Nighttime would soon be upon them. They were so far into the heart of the North that they had left the King's Road behind hours ago. Since then Brienne and Tormund had seen nothing but miles of white covered ground stretching beyond them in all directions.

Brienne brought her horse to a stop and surveyed the land ahead. Tormund drew up beside her and at last was able to take in the full glory of her profile. She pointed to a stand of evergreen trees in the distance. "We should take shelter for the night." She almost ordered. "That should do."

His smiling eyes followed in the direction her finger indicated, and nodded his agreement. "Whatever you say." He could not help but flash her his most appealing grin, attempting to win her over with his famed charm.

Brienne nodded, ignoring his allure, and began to lead her horse on toward the forest when Tormund reached out, placing his hand on her arm to stop her. She stared at him, not understanding, but stilled the horse and waited.

Without a sound Tormund climbed down from his horse and reached across the saddle packs to retrieve a bow and arrow. Brienne bristled in the saddle and peered around nervously, alert for danger. She looked again at Tormund. He was not alarmed. He was calm and meticulous in his actions. She watched him notch the arrow in the bow. There was no sound. Even his feet made no echoes on the snow as he crept into the open field near which they had stopped. It was as if he had become the very wind itself. Brienne watched mesmerized as Tormund came to a stop, crouched slightly and raised the weapon to his eye. Needing only a slight second to aim, he let loose the arrow. It traveled so fast, that Brienne could barely see it as the thin piece of wood sped across the barren meadow. Finally, Tormund's arrow found its prize. Over a hundred yards away, a fat rabbit shuttered and spun as the arrow tore through its body. It fell to the snow lifeless and without suffering.

Brienne could not take her eyes off Tormund as he trod across the field to retrieve his kill. She had not even seen the animal at such a distance. As Tormund returned, drawing closer, she saw that most of the animal's fur was as white as the ground that had surrounded it. She knew she could not have made such a clean, quick shot from that distance. Perhaps he was more than just boasting and bravado. Perhaps she had a lot to learn about her Wildling traveling companion.

Marveling at his skill, Brienne gave Tormund a genuine smile while he proudly held up his kill for her to examine, happy to provide for his lady love. "Dinner." He proclaimed.
—————————-
Upon reaching the stand of trees among which they would take refuge for the night, Brienne was first to alight from her horse. Tying up her mount to a nearby low branch, she was eager to get a fire started and begin building a shelter. Wasting no time, she started gathering stones to create small fire pit. Tormund took his time dismounting and tying his horse beside Brienne's. He was lost in watching her actions. She was no stranger to hard work, she seemed to welcome it. What a helpmate she would be. He dropped the rabbit carcass near the circle of stones Brienne had laid out. Then drawing his sword, he joined her in cutting branches off the trees. Leaning the limbs against each other, they soon had a tiny hut that would protect them from the frigid elements for the night.