Chapter 9

Brienne and Tormund crossed through the long icy passageway that cut the thickness of the Wall, out under the large ancient gate, and into the frozen True North later that morning. They rode close together, the night of passion they had shared ever present on their minds. Their progress was slow as they enjoyed merely being in each other's presence. They trudged through the thickly wooded forest that stretched for miles from the Wall. Brienne had never before been this far North. She felt she should be a little apprehensive in such a wild and untamed place. What surprised her most was how comfortable she felt, as if something was welcoming her to a somewhere she always should have been. She told herself, that surely it was due to her newfound relationship with her traveling companion. Unaware of her expression as she watched him, Brienne smiled warmly at Tormund as they made their way along the snow covered path. He turned to meet her gaze, and his eyes as he looked at her held the same arduous fascination. Holding out his gloved fingers to her, she took his grasp eagerly. They rode the last yards through the forest hand in hand.

As they left the snowy canopy, Tormund turned his horse in a direction Brienne had not anticipated. She looked at him questioningly. "I want to show you something." His smile was mysterious and a bit mischievous. Brienne nodded in reply. She was intrigued and she trusted him implicitly.

They traveled along a narrow pass that rose above a shallow valley. The shadowed sun was beginning to skim the top of the distant mountains as they rounded a small rise. Suddenly, the valley below fell off and opened to what seemed like the entire vista to the horizon. Even the hillsides surrounding them made way to the expanse which presented itself. Everything that stretched from her horse's hooves to the border between the land and sky was pure white, except where the dying light turned it silver, or purple. Even the air, thick with ice crystals seemed to sparkle. Brienne stared transfixed by the natural beauty of the unfamiliar new world in which she found herself. It suited her. Tormund could not take his eyes from her.

"I've never seen anything so beautiful." Brienne whispered amazed and unable to look away.

'I have.' Tormund thought to himself as he watched Brienne. She noticed he was watching her, and brought her eyes to meet his. Realizing that she herself was the point on which his gaze was frozen, Brienne looked down bashfully. He reached out to take her face in his hand and leaned from his saddle to meet her lips tenderly. She met his kiss with an equally passionate intensity.

When their breath had left them, they reluctantly parted. Looking into each other's eyes, they felt as if they were the only two people in the entire world. After a few moments, Brienne suddenly shivered. Her heart was warm, but her body was not. Evening was beginning to take over the landscape, and colder air was settling on the ground. It seemed to her that the temperature had fallen fifty degrees on this side of The Wall, but she had been so mesmerized by discovery, and so happy to be alone with Tormund that she had barely noticed for the most of the day, until now.

Tormund reached behind him and removed the fur from the bedroll he had tied to his horse's saddle. He shook it open to its full length and wrapped it around Brienne. "I know a place to get you warm." He smiled at her.

They rode on for a short distance, the light beginning of escape them. Tormund checked Brienne constantly, as he steered his horse through stands of trees and large outcroppings of rock. She followed him diligently and each time met his worried face with an encouraging smile. At last, they came upon the hidden dark opening of a small cave. Tormund drew his horse to a stop and Brienne followed, doing the same. Climbing down from their saddles they tied their mounts just outside the entrance. Brienne noticed a warmth emanating from the cave, and looked puzzled. Tormund put his arm around her and kissed her.

"Trust me." He laughed drawing his sword. She nodded, interested to discover this secret, and drew her blade in response.

The first few feet of the cave were still lit with the remnants of evening from outside. Together Tormund and Brienne surveyed their surroundings to ensure that some ferocious animal had not made the grotto its den. Then, satisfied that they were safe, the two new lovers made a fire that illuminated the rest of the cave. The light washed over surfaces that had been hidden in the dark. Brienne gasped when she saw the lovely blue water of the pool that filled half of the natural cavern. Inviting steam rose from the warm turquoise ripples, and heated the entire cave.