Chapter 17

Jon had enjoyed a leisurely ride down from the North. The weather had been on his side, and there had been none of the unusual obstacles in terms of terrain, or wildlife. He was counting himself lucky as he completed the last few miles with Winterfell sitting low on the horizon before him. Jon was traveling to greet Sansa and her second child. The Queen in the North and her sworn shield husband, Sandor Clegane, had celebrated the birth of their son not a fortnight before. The babe had been named after the Queen's dear brother, Robb, and Jon was eager to meet his new cousin. His plan was to spend several months with the Queen, helping her as much as he could with matters of state so that she could enjoy time with her children.

Jon trotted through Winterfell's main gate, and barely stopped before jumping from his mount. He threw the reins to a waiting stable boy and bounded inside to the Great Hall. Queen Sansa was not keeping court, and he waited patiently while the announcement of his arrival was sent to her in the family's living quarters. Jon was immediately granted admittance and excitedly climbed the stairs to Sansa's chambers.

He found Sansa seated in a comfortable chair in the family's solar, her newborn son nestled securely in her arms. Sandor stood only a few paces from her, watching over his family and diligently attempting to keep their nearly two year old daughter as far from the fire in the hearth as possible. The relief on Sansa's face was evident when Jon knocked and entered the room. She felt that surely, his arrival meant that all was well North of The Wall.

"Jon." Sansa smiled. "How wonderful to see you." She said happily. "Come and sit." She offered, eager to show off her son. Sandor gruffly thrust his chin upward in a rough greeting as Jon crossed the room.

Taking the chair beside his cousin, Jon gushed over the newborn. He thought fondly of the child's namesake. He hoped the boy would prove to have the same honor and spirit as Robb Stark had always shown. Jon smiled, delighted, at the happiness Sansa had found. After all she had suffered in her short life, and all she had lost, he felt no one deserved it more.

Sansa was eager to hear the news from beyond The Wall, especially regarding Brienne. "Did our rider reach you?" Sansa implored, urgently.

Jon looked at her questioningly, unsure of what it was she spoke. "Rider?" He asked.

Sansa's face grew troubled. "Yes." She confirmed. "With the news from Lord Tyrion." She told him, apprehensive at his confusion.

Jon shook his head. "No one has traveled to the encampment from the south since last I returned." His forehead creased with uneasiness. Sansa looked worriedly at Sandor, who for once returned her concerned expression.

Sansa touched Jon's wrist, her face growing pale. "Wait here." She begged him. She stood carefully, holding her newborn close to her, and walked to a small desk across the room. Unlocking a drawer, Sansa pulled a thin parchment from within and returned to her seat next to Jon. Anxiously, she handed the paper to him.

Jon read the words Tyrion had penned, his expression turning grave as he finished. "Jaime Lannister is alive?" He repeated the written words, looking up at Sansa with disbelief.

"We sent a rider with a warning for Brienne and Tormund more than a week ago, but have heard nothing." Sansa reported.

"No news ever reached them." Jon shook his head. "I left them only a few days ago." He reported pensively.

"Then." Sansa paused. "They have no idea, that Ser Jaime might be headed towards them." She gasped, afraid for Brienne and her family.

"I think I'd be more concerned for the Kingslayer." Sandor scoffed, swinging Elinore into his arms. "If he sets foot in that camp, Tormund will skin him alive." He attempted to assuage Sansa's worry.