Chapter 11

The morning the raven arrived began like any other to which Brienne and Tormund had become accustomed. Waking in each other's arms, they lounged together among the furs, enjoying the nearness of one another. For some reason neither had any desire to leave the warm pleasures of their bed. Brienne had gotten her moon blood a few days before and, unable to practice their usual intimacy, the two had busied themselves finding new ways to explore their bodies. The night before Tormund had instructed Brienne in the finer points of using her mouth to take him to the very edge of his desires. Apprehensive at first, she soon found herself aroused, and delighting in the sensations she was giving him which were clearly driving Tormund out of his mind.

As they laid together in the morning light, their hands entwined, Brienne could not help but smile in the glow of the previous night. She decided she wanted another taste. She let loose of Tormund's fingers, grinned mischievously, and began to slide down him under the furs. Understanding her plan he moaned his approval slowly. Locking his fingers behind his head, he reclined luxuriously with a dreamy smile on his face, and waited for her to begin. The thought of her enticing lips around him sent thrilling waves down his body, and when Brienne reached her target she found him ready for her. She began to trace him slowly with her tongue. It was just as she was taking his entirety into her watering mouth that there came a rapping on the doorway frame from the outside.

Tormund let out a frustrated whine. "Go Away!" He bellowed.

Brienne poked her head up from under the furs, and threw the covers back, exposing her face. Tormund's heart melted at the vision of her mussed hair, and luscious lips. 'Whoever it was at that door, had better prepare to die.' He thought.

Brienne smacked his healed ribs softly and playfully. "Oh stop." She teased, sitting up and reaching for her thick robe. "What if it's the girls?" She suggested.

Tormund followed her and pulled on his britches as they left their comfortable paradise. "They wouldn't knock." He exaggerated his tone, quickly kissing her neck. She squirmed happily at the familiar and wonderful tickle.

Brienne reached the door first and swept aside the fur covering, Tormund following her closely. Outside, stood a young Free Folk man who Brienne remembered was somehow distantly related to Tormund. It was obvious that he had interrupted a romantic moment and his face reddened with embarrassment. "Tormund, Brienne." He began, clearing his throat. Brienne loved how the Free Folk addressed her using her first name and did not use either Lady or Ser. It made her feel one of them. The young man continued. "The village council has received a raven from Winterfell. It is marked for both of you. The council would like to see you."

Brienne and Tormund eyed each other uneasily. "Fine." Tormund answered. "We'll be there." He gruffed, still fuming at having his morning of passion with Brienne cut short.

The light inside the hut grew dim once more as they closed the skin flap, and turned inside to ready themselves. Brienne stood staring straight ahead of her, a pit forming in her stomach, as if her dream had come to an end. She wondered why she had not seen it coming. She had lost herself completely in the happy little life she and Tormund were leading so far North. She had nearly allowed herself to forget the promise she had made to Lady Catelyn, and to Queen Sansa. Almost forgotten that her life was not completely her own. That she had Sworn herself to the Starks.

Tormund saw her distress and now knew her so well he understood what she was thinking. He slid his arms around her her waist and pulled her to him. "They can't have you." He declared.

Brienne rested her forehead against his, and shook her head. "I have no choice." She stammered, lifting her head and searching his eyes for the peace she needed. "I swore an oath." She reminded him.