Chapter 8

Brienne and Tormund had left Frozen Heath early in the morning, just after sunrise, and had ridden all day to reach the edge of The North. Now, Castle Black loomed ahead of them, and behind it even more imposing, towered the soaring seven hundred foot Wall. Brienne had always thought the ancient castle foreboding and dire. As they got closer she noticed Tormund was beaming.

"Does this place really make you that happy?" She looked at him with confusion.

"Just the memory of it?" He chuckled. Then he grew intensely serious and turned toward her. "It's the first place I ever saw you."

Suddendly shy, Brienne bit her bottom lip and cast her eyes down blushing. His mention of the recollection brought the image clearly to her mind. She saw again, how he had stood transfixed as she passed him on horseback. She had found his flirtations annoying then. Now, she could not understand why she had been unable to see the depth of his feelings behind them, and why she fought so hard to push him away.

Brienne's bashful demeanor disappeared and was replaced by a playful smile at another memory. It was of Tormund staring seductively at her over the meal that had been brought to them while Jon and Sansa talked strategy. "I wonder if they will be serving bread with dinner this evening." She teased. Tormund howled with laughter.

They rode into the busy courtyard of Castle Black. The Night's Watchmen eyed them wearily, as they usually did when unexpected travelers arrived. As Tormund climbed down from his horse and then steadied Brienne's mount while she jumped to the ground to join him, several of the guards recognized him and nodded. He stepped closer to Brienne and puffed himself up proudly, certain that every man in the yard suffered from an incurable case of jealousy over his ravishing companion.

"Tormund!" A loud voice called from across the compound. Brienne looked up to see Jon Snow's hand raised in greeting as he bounded down the stairs.

Tormund's smile widened, happy to see his friend. He strode across the compound, and they embraced as brothers. Brienne walked slowly a few paces behind, allowing them their reunion. She was glad Tormund knew such friendship.

"Going south or north?" Tormund laughed to Jon.

"I'm on my way back to Winterfell." Jon reported. "I've spent some time with your clan. I told them you should be returning soon." Tormund nodded as Jon turned his attention to Brienne.

"Ser Brienne." He said smiling respectfully and bowing slightly. "I trust this old bear hasn't made your journey too difficult." He joked.

Brienne returned his greeting with a pleasant smile, and graced Tormund with an unintentional endearing look. "Not at all." She answered. "Quite the opposite." Jon noticed the decidedly more relaxed and friendly manner in which Brienne treated Tormund now, much more so than when he had last seen them leaving Winterfell. He grinned hopefully at Tormund, who shrugged in reply.

Although Jon was no longer Lord Commander at Castle Black, his reputation, and the lingering loyalty of many of the brothers almost made it seem as if he were. If he gave an order, it was followed. He gestured for two of the younger Night's Watchmen to see to the horses. "Let's go inside and warm up. We can talk better in there." Jon suggested. Motioning for Brienne to take the lead, Jon walked beside Tormund. Clapping his old friend on the back, Jon's eyes smiled questioningly. He was eager to see if Bran had indeed been correct, and simple time together would ignite the passion between Tormund and Brienne. Again Tormund shrugged, but his joyous grin and upswept brows told Jon that perhaps things were falling into place. Jon laughed and shook his head as they walked into mess hall.

Inside the dark age stained hall, a table was already waiting with steaming bowls of stew, and a pile of bread. Brienne recalled the first time she and Tormund had shared a meal there. She could not control the snicker that came to her throat at the vision of his face buried in nearly half a loaf of bread eyeing her suggestively. Tormund understood the reason for her amusement and joined her in laughter at their shared memory. Jon noticed how comfortable they had become with each other, and how close they sat together. He realized that whatever their laughter had been about, it was not the only personal amusement they shared. The thought made him happy.