Chapter 7

With dinner over and the children growing sleepy, Lady Chamilia led Brienne and Tormund upstairs. Stopping in the dark hallway, lit only by the candle she held, the young woman motioned toward a door. "I hope you will find everything to your liking." She smiled.

For a moment, her guests looked confused at having only one chamber. Tormund, concerned for Brienne's modesty and not wanting anything to disrupt the newfound comradery between them, began to speak up. Brienne's calm understanding hand on his arm silenced him. "I'm sure it will be lovely." She smiled.

Chamilia nodded, and opened the door to usher them inside. The room was small but had a warm fire, a table with two chairs, and what appeared to be a soft comfortable bed. "Sleep well, then." She said.

"And you." Brienne answered as Chamilia took her leave. Tormund still did not understand what was happening. Of course they had spent night after night sleeping only inches from each other in the small shelters they had made. However, they had their own bed rolls, and their bodies had seldom touched. He certainly did not mind the thought of spending a night in the same bed as the woman he loved, but Brienne's honor was foremost in his mind. However, he understood that southerners held uptight and inconvenient notions about women and men sharing the same quarters. He wondered why Brienne had not protested.

When the door had closed he questioned her. "Didn't you want two chambers? Wouldn't that be more...proper...for you? He asked.

"I didn't want to embarrass our hostess by correcting her." Brienne answered.

"Oh." He nodded, thoroughly confused.

Brienne could tell he was not following her logic, and explained further. "There are certain rules of...my society that are based upon one's station. A highborn lady does not travel alone with a man unless they are...attached." She spoke haltingly almost embarrassed. "She knew I was highborn when I introduced myself with my title. She doesn't know that I gave up being a lady when I chose the life of Battle."

Tormund thought pensively for a moment, realization of Brienne's words dawning. "So...she thinks..." he began.

Brienne finished his sentence quickly. "She thinks we're married." She blushed as she turned from him, not wanting to meet his gaze. She did not understand why she felt her heart beat faster and her blood rush at the thought.

Tormund stared intently in the opposite direction, the picture that Brienne had just painted sinking in. A wide, sublime smile grew on his face. He lost himself visualizing all her description meant. If only it were true. After a few seconds he brought himself back to reality when he had not heard Brienne. Turning, he saw her staring at the double bed. The only sleeping accommodations in the room. Her face held a stricken look. It was dread that filled her heart, and Tormund realized that she was lost in a memory, one that had nothing to do with him. He knew who her thoughts were imagining, and anger boiled in his veins at the other man that had turned what should have been a beautiful experience for her into such painful regret. If it had been him with her at Winterfell after the battle, he would have made Brienne feel like a queen. He would have sooner had his flesh flailed from his bones than ever leave her, if she were his. Perhaps they really would be married by now, if she had chosen him then. Tormund could not bare her pain.

Desperate to ease her worry, he moved across the tiny chamber to face her. Smiling comfortingly at her, he snapped her back to the present. "I will sleep on the floor." He offered.

Brienne gave him a relieved smile. "I don't mind taking the floor." She spoke up, shyly.

"I won't hear of it." Tormund smiled at her. He would not dream of his lady lying on the cold stone when there was soft bed for her.