十五

Several days passed before the date of Sasuke and [Name]'s engagement party began approaching, and soon, she was being whipped away by Mikoto to personally invite her friends from school, none of which had any idea about what happened to [Name]. They'd been told by the principal, and by [Name]'s family, that [Name] had simply transferred to a private school without a single word of goodbye. [Name], knowing her friends, knew that they wouldn't believe such bullshit, and wanted to clear things up with them first and foremost. She had three close friends who she planned to tell everything to- Mei, Fuyu and Emiko. She wanted them to know everything so that they wouldn't be creeped out by the fact that one of their closest friends was getting married at the age of seventeen. Under Mikoto's instruction, [Name] had gotten a hold of her phone and sent out a text requesting a meeting with her friends at the Fortuna, a cafe where they would often hang out at before and after school. She'd instantly been bombarded with responses, and a time was set to meet up with her dearly missed friends.

"I don't see why I can't come." Sasuke stood with his arms crossed, a look of dislike plastered across his face as he watched [Name] and his mother yapping as they left his room. He'd been woken up by their yapping from downstairs, discussing one thing or another.

"Because, this is a strictly girls day out only," Mikoto said, shooting her son a glare as she ushered [Name] out of the room. "Try not to get too wound up about it."

***

"...you're fucking joking me!"

"Are you serious?!"

"... well I'll be fucked."

[Name] sat with her friends at a table in Fortuna, hidden away at the back as she dissected tales of her journey so far to the three awestruck girls.

"So you're getting married... and you're asking us to be your bridesmaids?" Mei asked, brow creased as she struggled to come to terms with the thought. [Name] grimaced, and nodded slightly, often shooting glances out of the side of her eye to keep watch on Mikoto, who was sitting at a nearby table with her own cup of coffee and keeping a very close ear on the girls.

"Basically."

"But that's so fucking stupid!" snapped Emiko, slamming her palm on the table and glaring at [Name]. "You shouldn't have to do that! Who the fuck do those people think they are?! They have no right to-"

"Emi, please," [Name] pleaded, seeing Mikoto rise and approach the table. Emi furiously shook her head and stood up.

"[Name], that's so fucking stupid, like seriously?! Why haven't the cops been called in?! Why haven't the authorities been alerted?! This is a violation of your rights, and your family's safety! Why haven't-"

"Is there a problem, ladies?" Mikoto's voice cut over Emiko's, cool and clear. Emi growled and clenched her fists, sliding away from the table.

"Dandy!" she snapped, storming her way out of the cafe. [Name] sighed, and Mei exchanged a look with Fuyu, who got to her feet.

"I'll take care of Emi. Text again soon, okay, [Name]?" said Fuyu, an apologetic look on her face. She bowed at Mikoto before rushing after Emiko, leaving [Name] alone with Mei and Mikoto.

"Right! Shall we get going, then?" Mikoto beamed, clasping her hands together. [Name] grimaced and looked at Mei, who still looked stunned.

"You don't have to come if you don't want to," she said gruffly, pushing her seat back and getting to her feet. Mei stuttered and got to her feet.

"No, I want to come!" she said hurriedly, making her way to [Name]'s side. "After all, we're friends. I'll always have your back, [Name]."

Mikoto smiled at the two.