Black Hair And Flowers

-Tate P.O.V-
Effy took me into her room and we found ourselves on her bedroom floor, opposite each other with a game of scrabble between us. Effy didn't speak a word about the incident with Beau upstairs, although she was very quiet.
"Lollipop. You're go." I smiled as I placed the letters down. Effy looked up at me and cracked a smile. She had a streak of confusion in her expression as she used her letters to make a word. "You're so quiet." I spoke as I renewed my letters.
"I don't know, maybe because I was attacked by a creature." she said with a straight face. I stood up from the ground and started walking backwards and forth.
"Beau didn't attack you, he just wanted to play. And he isn't a creature." I spat out.
"Who the hell is Beau? And why is it in the attic?" she questioned, staying sat down. I crouched down towards her so our faces were close.
"Do you believe in ghosts?" I asked her with a smile. Effy opened her mouth to reply but she was interrupted.
"Tate? What you doing in here?" asked Doctor Scott, standing in Effy's doorway.
"I was just-" I started.
"You shouldn't be in here, come on, time to leave." instructed Doctor Scott, forcing me out. I stood up and began to leave the room. I stopped next to Doctor Scott and turned back to look at Effy. Her expression had changed to the look of desperation. Desperate to tell me her answer and not wanting me to leave. I knew because Violet use to give me that look. "This way Mr Langdon." finished Doctor Scott as he led me out of Effy's room and out of Effy's sight. He walked me all the way to the front door and waited until I was outside the door. "I'll see you tomorrow, Tate." smiled Doctor Scott as he went to close the door on me. I put my foot in the door to stop him.
"You don't mind me being friends with your daughter, do you?" I asked, to make sure.
"Tate, I'd rather my patients and my family didn't mix." he spat out, closing the door properly. I opened my mouth to try and get another word in but the door closed on my face. I walked away from the front door and made my way around the back. Effy was already on my mind. All I wanted to know was her answer, and I will know it. Tonight. I will wait until the house was silent and show her. Show Effy what this house holds.

-Effy's P.O.V-
I sat in my room, on the floor in front of the scrabble board. Why did Tate asked if I believed in ghosts? And why did he get so touchy when I called that thing in the attic a creature? Things started to get weird around here, but not so weird that I was scared of it. I was interested in this house. I got up off of my floor and left my room, heading towards the stairs. Half way down the stairs I spotted dad walking away from the front door and towards his office.
"Dad," I called, walking down the stairs towards him. "Did Tate leave?" I asked.
"He's gone home now, what was he doing in your room?" dad asked. I shrugged my shoulders.
"Needed company?" I spoke. My dad shook his head and continued to his office, leaving me in the hallway. I sighed to myself and went to turn around to go to my room when suddenly Moira was stood behind me.
"Oh god!" I shouted out as she made me jump.
"Sorry to scare you like that, Miss Scott." she sorried.
"It's fine. And you can call me Effy." I smiled, warming up to Moira. She wasn't that bad to be honest, I still found it a bit weird how my parents complimented her like she was a young lady. Moira nodded her head and then continued with the house chores.
I did nothing for the entire evening apart from read one of my old books in my room.
"Effy!" I heard a voice call me from downstairs. I groaned and slammed my book shut. I glanced at my clock to see that it read quarter past seven. That means mom was home. I hopped off my bed and made my way down the stairs. I walking into the kitchen and I found Moira unloading groceries whilst my mom stood there and had a cigarette. "Ah Effy, I got this for you since you've been asking for a while." smiled my mom as she went over to one of the plastic bags and pulled out a box of black hair dye. A smile spread across my face.
"Aw neat." I said quietly, walking over to the breakfast bar and picking up the box. "'Raven Black'. That will do, thanks." I finished before I turned around and went to leave the room.
"Oh and Effy," called mom. I turned around to face her. "Your dad told me about Tate."
"Mom, we're just friends!" I said, rolling my eyes.
"That's what they all say." mumbled mom as she walked over to the cupboards. I scrunched my face up and then continued my way up the stairs towards the bathroom to dye my hair.
By the time I had dyed, washed, dried and styled my hair again, it was almost hitting ten at night. I didn't have an appetite so I refused dinner for tonight. My parents and Moira had settled themselves into bed, so I decided to do the same. I stripped down to just my black underwear, as usual for bed. I sat down in front of my mirror and just as I was about to take my makeup off, a bang from downstairs made me jump. Because I had high curiosity, I decided to go find out where the bang came from. I went into my wardrobe and took out my silk, black dressing gown, which was a little see-through but I didn't care and wrapped it around myself. Inside of the drawer on my desk held a flashlight, as I didn't want to wake my parents up with the main lights. I came out of my bedroom and stood in the hallways and flicked the flashlight on. The loud bang happened again which made me let out a little squeal, but I slapped my free hand on to my mouth and tried to figure out where it was coming from. I knew it was coming from the main floor, but where exactly? Tip-toeing, I made it down the stairs, trying not to let the steps creek. As I reached the bottom of the stairs and turned the corner slightly, I heard the squeak of a door open behind me. I spun around and shone the torch light on the spot which was the basement door opening, by its self. I swallowed hard and then slowly walked towards the basement. Reaching the opening of the basement, I shined the light down to the floor of the basement. Nothing.
"Hello?" I called down, quietly. No answer. I swallowed again and then proceeded to go down the stairs. When I reached the bottom of the stairs, I shined the flashlight around the basement. Our basement was huge, there was even walls hiding parts of the basement. I started to slowly walk around the basement, getting a little creeped out by shapes and shadows. Suddenly, two hands fell onto my face, covering my eyes.
"Boo." said a voice. I screamed and dropped the flashlight on the floor and wriggled myself away. I fell over my own feet, down to the ground and then scrammed for the flashlight. I grabbed the flashlight and shinned up to the person who grabbed me. I suddenly sighed with relief when I realised who it was.
"Whoa, whoa! Chill, Effy! It's only me!" said Tate, holding his hands up either side of him. I shined the flashlight away from his face and dropped my head into my hands.
"Jeez Tate. You scared the life out of me."
"Likewise." spoke Tate, leaning down and offering a hand to help me up. I smiled at him and accepted the offering hand. "I like the black hair. It suits you. Beautiful." complimented Tate, charming me. I was flattered.
"I like it too." I smiled back, twirling my hair around my finger. Tate stared at me and smiled. I liked it a lot.
"Oh! I got this for you as well." Tate pulled out a flower from his back pocket. It was a rose, painted black. My eyes brightened at the sight. "You like the shade black so I painted it black for you." he smiled. Just as I was about to take the rose from his hand, he stopped and made a different move. "Here, let me." he said. Tate took the rose and placed it in my hair. Two different shades of black put together. "Beautiful." he smiled at me. I blushed, which was kind of embarrassing. Then a question popped into my head.
"Tate, what are you doing here?" I asked.
"I came back for my answer." spoke Tate. I turned my head to the side and smiled a little, trying to recall the question. Tate looked down and giggled to himself.
"Effy, do you believe in ghosts?" he came straight out with, without hesitation.