42: Ava's Crappy Spring Break

AVA's POV

Watching Elizabeth Jay teaching Sara how to walk and eventually run on the track field was not how I wanted to start off my spring break. And yet, there I was sitting on the bleachers next to Daniel. That morning was the first time me or Sara actually met her.

"Daniel tells me you've been in physical therapy" claimed Elizabeth. "I can't begin to tell you about the horror of physical therapy. Honestly never thought my ankle was never going to get better after I twisted it."

Sara was instructed to come with her cast still on her. "Well, I think things are getting better. I'm for sure getting good at walking again. It seems to hurt after a couple of minutes now until it goes away."

"Good" a large smile appeared on her face. "It's only going to get better. Eventually, you'll be able to run. And trust me, I honestly think you'd love running."

That's when me and Daniel found ourselves sitting on the bleachers. Both girls found themselves taking a walk on the track field. And sure enough, after a couple of minutes, Sara's foot was hurting as she announced it.

"Start running!" instructed Jay. "Once the pain goes away, you can walk again!"

For the next minute, she found herself taking a run with Jay right at her side. This continued for the next half hour as the sun began to rise and beamed on my face. She continued walking until her foot was in pain, which was followed by running until the pain went away. I couldn't believe how good of a runner Jay was.

"Crap, if only we could've gone to Rocky Point for spring break," I sighed. "Hell, I wish I could've gone to New Orleans with Giselle."

Daniel's Hand found itself on my shoulder. "You know, you could try running. It wouldn't hurt."

With a sigh, I spoke again. "You know I'm not in good enough shape to run."

He stood up and helped me up. "OK, just run around the track once with me. Get a feel for it. Promise it won't be that bad."

How could I say no? I should've said no. But instead, my feet found themselves running off the bleachers and onto the track field with Daniel right by my side. The girls were cheering me on while they decided to take a break to watch us. With the sun still glaring right on my face, I found myself moving my feet. We were halfway across the track field. Another half, and we'd have a lap completed. Before I knew it, my stomach grumbled causing me to slow down. My legs were starting to give out.

"Don't give up!" shouted Daniel. "Keep going!"

"Son of a bitch, it hurts!"

"I know it hurts! Keep going!"

If only I could've listened to his wise words. My feet gave up and let me fall to the floor. Kneeling on the ground, I found myself catching my breath with a hot and heavy beating in my head. Moments later, I puked. Daniel gave me a water bottle to drink out of.

"Crap, I don't know how you guys do it."

Elizabeth walked up to me and sat next to me allowing Daniel to do the same. For the next couple of minutes, I continued to sit there while catching my breath. Sara found herself standing right behind me.

"You know, it's definitely not easy," stated Liz. "But I can honestly tell you that running makes you feel free. I can't describe the feeling you get when you just run and your worries go away." She snapped her fingers. "Just like that, they go away. Damn, it's an amazing feeling."

"It's true," interrupted Sara. "I haven't been running much, but it honestly feels amazing."

A minute later, I found myself sitting on the bleachers again with Daniel. The girls continued to practice.

"You know, this will probably last all day," announced Daniel. "You want to get lunch?"

Crap, it was already lunchtime and that running I barely did somehow made me starving. By not running and only walking, we found ourselves at a nearby Taco Stand. Daniel paid for my meal. 

"You know, I know you wish spring break could've been more exciting, but it's cool that you're here supporting Sara. You both have something special. I can sense it." He took a bite of his taco as we made our way to a small wall to sit on. "JFK once said, ask what not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country."

Swallowing a bite of my taco, I spoke in confusion. "What does any of this have to do with JFK?"

"The best of friends find a way to help each other out. I guess you could say they serve each other. If you would've gone to New Orleans, you wouldn't have had the chance to help support a good friend."

A short silence took over as we ate our tacos. 

"I wish I had a good friend to help me understand what the hell I'm going to do with my future." I couldn't find myself to finish eating with my stomach beginning to feel full.

"Didn't Giselle invite you on a tour to that community college? Hell, maybe running can help you with the future."

A great groan left my mouth followed by a burp. "If only if it were that easy."

Hope you enjoyed this chapter! I hope Ava's Spring Break gets better. Don't forget to comment, vote, and share!

Next Chapter: Liam, Giselle, and Leah are in New Orleans. Join them as they experience life in 'The Big Easy.'

Should Ava try to get better at running?

Would Ava be better off in New Orleans?