46: Elizabeth's Many Traits

AVA's POV

At this point, it was becoming obvious that Sara was completely fine. Somehow through all the turmoil, running became her passion.

"I wonder if I could be a nurse without going to school," commented Sara.

Yes, she was kidding, but for whatever reason, I took it personally. Elizabeth was a terrible influence on her. Not go to college? Who does that? Why would anyone choose not to do anything when they graduate? These were the questions that pondered my mind sitting on the bleachers watching the running duo. Daniel was going to be late today. That particular day, I brought a notebook with me. Sitting on the bleachers gets tiring after a while. Maybe that's why Daniel didn't show up. With nobody to talk to, I became lost in my thoughts.

"Class, today is our spelling test," announced the teacher. "Please get out a folder to cover your papers. We don't want any cheaters."

Wouldn't you know it, Elizabeth had nothing on her desk. No pencil, paper, or folder. She just sat there looking at the wall. Our teacher made her way to the confused girl.

"Elizabeth, is everything OK? Why don't you have anything on your desk? You know we're about to start our spelling test, right?"

"What spelling test?"

The whole class lost it in laughter. Our teacher would not have it and calmed the class down. "You know perfectly well, we have a spelling test every Friday. Do I need to have a talk with your mother again?" 

Later that day for specials, we were in P.E. Mr. Davis our coach had us run one lap before we did anything else. Most of the class struggled and walked instead. Not Elizabeth. As stupid as she was, she was able to run. I found myself struggling wanting to stop. There she came zooming by leaving dust in my face. This was no problem for her.

'Has always been active and physical,' I wrote in my journal. Yes, I was keeping a profile of her in my notebook. Don't ask me why. Here were a few more things I wrote down.

'Hasn't' always been smart'

'Determined'

'Doesn't conform with the norm'

'friendly'

'helps others'

At one point, they took a break. As she talked to Sara, I noticed a bright smile taking over her face. She knew how to make her laugh. It seemed like she understood Sara more than I ever could do in a lifetime.

'Happy'

'Humorous'

'Extravert'

Finally, Daniel showed up and sat next to me with two burritos in his hand.

"Want one?" he offered.

Little did I realize that I was hungry and accepted his burrito. My burrito was finished well before he could finish his.

"How's the running going? They making any progress?" Before I could answer him, he noticed that my notebook was opened on my other side and picked it up to read it. "What is this?"

Crap, I should've closed it before he got here. Why didn't I close it? Such an idiot I was. There was no way I could hide what I was doing at this point. The only choice was to respond.

"It's a list of characteristics and traits of Elizabeth. It's a profile of her I guess you could say."

With a confused look on his face and a part of a burrito in his mouth, he looked at me as if I were a mental patient. Once he swallowed his food, he spoke.

"Why are you profiling her?"

"I don't know. I guess I might be bothered by her. Like how can she be fine with not going to college? What if Sara decides not to go to college because of her?"

With a great sigh, he put the rest of his burrito in the wrapper and set it on the seat of the bleachers.

"Ava, why should you care so much if she's not going to college? Hell, why are you so worried about the impact she might have on Sara? How does any of this affect you? Why not just focus on yourself instead of worrying about others?"

Did I really have to answer that? With my head looking at the floor and rubbing my eyes, I gave him a vague answer. "Sara is my friend. I don't want to lose her."

Putting his hand on my knee, he used his other hand to put my head up for our eyes could meet. "You know, it's interesting that you say she's your friend. Earlier this year, you seemed freaked out by the fact that she was interested in you. What's changed?"

That question couldn't be answered. My eyes just looked at his with a tear almost coming out.

"Oh, I think I know I see what's going on." It was like a lightbulb came out of his head and realized something about me. "Look, Ava, you don't have a lot of time before you graduate. I think I know what you're dealing with and what your hiding. You're a little afraid of who you are and who you're going to be. You still have every opportunity in the world. Elizabeth is just a friendly cross country runner that wants to help Sara run. That's it. That's all she wants to do. Meanwhile, you're sitting here writing notes based on your observations about Elizabeth. You need to stop it before it's too late. Trust me, if you keep this up, it's not going to end well for you, for her, or anyone else."

"But..."

"No buts" he interrupted. "I'm serious. End this now. You entering dangerous shit with all this. Do you really want to be at graduation regretting what you did?"

"No."

"Well stop."

Easier said than done. With the day going by slowly, Daniel had a doctor's appointment to get only to leave me behind again with my own thoughts.

"What are your plans for prom?" asked Sara as I drove her to physical therapy.

"I don't know, I haven't really been thinking about prom. Crap, I didn't even go last year. Billy Horton invited me last year, but no."

She found herself laughing and smacking my arm. "Are you serious? Billy Horton invited you to prom? Just about every girl in school would go to prom with him if they had the chance."

"To be honest, I hate Horton. Giselle tried to make us a thing last year, but I couldn't do it. Hell no. No way Jose."

"Well, I'd be down to go to prom with you as friends."

As friends? Prom? That conversation still haunted me to this day? Looking at Sara run, I thought about the possibility of us at prom. Giselle would've wanted me and Daniel at prom together. I wonder who Giselle was going to prom with.

Hope you enjoyed this chapter! Don't forget to comment, vote, and share!

Next Chapter: Leah gives Liam an offer that he can't refuse. He probably should though.

Is it healthy for Ava to be profiling Elizabeth?

What's going on with Ava?

What should Ava do?