The Cold Seat

For the moment I'm alone in this hospital room. This is the first time Shooter has left in three days, he finally went to my house to rest for a couple of hours in a bed. My aunt and dad went to the bar to talk to the manager. I think Greaser and Grit went too. Grit said something about not having a beer in five days and he's getting dehydrated. I don't like being alone anymore, I used to love it, but now, not so much. I feel like my thoughts are going to cave in on me. Like my skull is going to collapse in on my brain. I'm not too alone, I know there are two guys from a local mc sitting outside my room. From what I saw when the door opened, it's the club of ex-military guys. I guess that made Shooter comfortable enough to leave for a bit. I would give anything for a shower, but with the left side of most of my body is in some form of stability wrapping, not happening. Before this day is over, someone is helping me under some water, somehow. Pressing the call button, I wait for the nurse to answer, instead a very tired older woman walks in.

"You ok? Do you need anything?"

"I didn't mean for you to walk down here, I just wanted to ask if it was possible, if someone could help me get a shower or a bath sometime today?"

She smiles at me. "Darlin, you're right across the hall from the nurses' desk and just two rooms down from the elevator. You haven't been out of this room since they parked you in here after surgery, have you?"

"No and I've lost track of how many days ago that was."

"Honey, you've been in here for six days now. And yes, some way we will get you in a tub or shower before I leave today, if I have to stay after my shift to do it myself."

I smile at her. "You have no idea how grateful I am."

She gives me a look like she knows something.

"And it has nothing to do with that hot, hunk of man that has not left your side in over three days now?"

"Some, but mostly I just want to get clean. I still feel like I have blood and glass on me."

She gives me a sad look. "I understand, and I don't blame you. We'll get it done. Rest up, because it's gonna require some energy to get in that shower. Are you ready for lunch?"

"No. No hurry, just when they usually bring it will be good."

She smiles at me and steps out the door. "Ok. Call if you need anything and I'll see you in a little bit."

"Thank you."

I can see the two guys from the other club sitting on each side of the door. One is playing on his phone and the other is reading a book. They glance up and peek in the room as she walks out.

Laying back and resting my head on the flat pillows. My mind takes over. It's been almost a week since the wreck and a week since my mother has been gone. The tears begin. Just thinking about my beautiful, graceful, and loving mother hurts my heart. I didn't realize I was full on ugly crying until the door cracks open and one of largest men I have ever seen steps in with a look of complete fear on his face. Why do men get scared when women cry?

"You alright? Do I need to call your dad or Shooter?"

He growls. Literally, sounds like an animal just spoke. I shake my head and wipe my tears, because the sobbing stopped as soon as this giant walked in.

"No, it's just that ...... it's almost been a week." Understanding replaces the fear on his face and he nods his head. Someone else must be talking because he turned around. The door opens all the way and in walks my heart. He smiles at me with love shining in his eyes and the tears start again. He takes a few long strides across the room and sits on the side of my bed, gently wrapping me in his arms and letting me cry on his chest.