Fighting for the Future

We've been here for a week now and Sarah Grace is finally well enough to leave.  Now I'm really worried, all she wants to do is sleep.  Zip won't give her anything anymore, he's afraid she's starting to get addicted and it scares me too.  We're leaving here today.  My folks got home a few days ago and got the horse settled.  Her grandmother had her clothes packed and everything else she might need.  The truck is ready, I called the realtor and her house in New Orleans is being cleaned and groceries stocked.  She is physically healed, for the most part, her bruises are fading.  Now they're just a sickly green yellow color.  I'm hoping this ride doesn't hurt her too much, Zip won't give her anything stronger than a Tylenol.  I poke my head in the door to check and see if she's dressed.  She's sitting on the edge of the bed slumped and broken.  She's wearing leggings and dressed in something besides just my t shirt for the first time since I got her back.

"Baby? You ready?"

She looks over her shoulder at me, I notice she has her long wavy hair pulled back and she's not hiding behind it.  Her eyes are still dull, like the life has drained out, and she's so skinny.  Her collar bones poke out from the neck of my t shirt; it looks bigger on her now more than it ever did, emphasizing how tiny and fragile she really is.  She's always been tiny, but now with her complexion so pale, she looks like she's sick and needs to be in the hospital.  Her petit 5'3" frame looks like a walking skeleton.  I don't know how, but even though she's short, her legs are long and amazing; she's still just as beautiful as the day I met her.  She stands up and walks to me, carrying her shoes; I pick her up and she wraps those gorgeous legs around my waist and lays her head on my shoulder.  I feel her warm breath on my neck and hold her just a little tighter, thankful that I have her back in my arms, I turn and bury my face in her hair, breathing in the smell of her hair.  She's always smelled so good, a beach with vanilla blossoms, it's addictive. I look up and nod my head at my team, they won't be far behind us.  Sitting her in the passenger seat of her truck, I notice she's wearing her engagement ring and the earrings I gave her, giving me hope that she's getting back to herself, sort of.  Placing my hands on each side of her delicate face, I lean in and softly kiss her lips, trying to put all the love I have for her in this tender kiss.  I pull back and look into her eyes, she kissed me back.  I kiss her again, trying to draw her out of that dark place where she hides and she kisses me again, and I can feel the effort she's putting into this moment, filling me with hope for her.  I pull back again and lean in one more time, placing a kiss on her forehead.  Looking into her eyes this time, no tears, only sadness and determination.  This woman, this tiny woman amazes me, my little warrior.  I pick her hand up and kiss the tattoo that says just that, then place that hand on my heart.

"Baby, that beats for you.  I live because you do.  I love you so much and as soon as I can set it up, we're getting married while we're in New Orleans."

I see a light come on in her eyes, not bright, but it's there, like the flicker of a candle starting to glow. 

"I love you too Shooter.  Thank you for coming for me."

"Anything for you!  Haven't you figured it out by now?"

I smile at her and lean in for another kiss, I notice the chain shining around her neck, she's wearing her grandmother's' necklace.  It seems like these tokens of love are charging her with strength and reminding her how very much she's loved.  I lean in and place a kiss on her neck, on top of the chain.  I touch my lips to the metal that has been warmed through contact with her skin.  I then move up and kiss her earlobe, again, over the jewelry.  I pull away, one last time and lift her left hand to my mouth, kissing the ring I gave her. 

"Do you remember when we first met, and we drove back to Florida in your pop's Hummer?  You fell asleep and you ended up with your head in my lap, while I fell deeper in love with you.  We spent the whole visit together; everyone knew I had fallen in love with you and I knew I wanted forever with you.  After dropping you at the airport I went straight out and bought this.  I had to wait for your next visit to find out the size.  It was in a safe in my room at the clubhouse, it was so hard waiting the two years until I could put it on your finger.  Even though you were in the hospital, I was so proud and honored that I could officially call you mine.  And baby, you are mine.  I am so in love with you.  You don't know how many people love you, the list keeps growing.... every man on my team, my parents, every man in the club, your gran and every single one of those people would fight for you and will fight this battle with you.  As a matter of fact, I think your gran is planning to move here, she said she wasn't going back to Ireland until she laid eyes on you, but after talking to your pops, she's been dropping hints about staying."