Chapter IV

Rory woke up later that night, the clock on her bedside table read 3:40am. Jesus. She rubbed her eyes and immediately regretted it when it was painful. She groaned quietly pushing herself up in bed, frowning when she realized Dally wasn't in bed with her anymore. He was just there when she had fallen asleep. The house was super quiet. Darry was probably sleeping, Pony had school so he was probably sleeping too. If Steve was still here him and Soda wouldn't be this quiet so she assumed anyone home was sleeping. She got up, hed door partially cracked open and made her way down the hallway.

She could see the illumination of the kitchen light as she got closer. Rory ease dropped a lot on the boys so she learned how to sneak around the house. No one was in the living room and the TV was off but she could hear small noises in the kitchen, sounding
like someone was eating. She stopped as she got a little closer to the archway and listened for a minute. It was just quiet. She was getting ready to just go back to her room and wait for Dally when she heard Soda's voice.

"Hey, Dal. Can I ask you something?" He asked.

"Yeah, sure." Dally shrugged setting his glass down on the table.

"How'd you know Rory loved you back?" Rory frowned at Soda's question.

"What do you mean?" Dally asked, slightly confused by the question.

"I mean, like how'd you know? Did you just know when she said it? Did she act different?" The frown stayed on Rory's face at the tone in her twins voice. He sounded so sad.

"Why you askin' me that Soda?" Dally asked again the confusion filling his voice.

"I just, I love Sandy. I do, but she's been distant, we're supposed to hang out tomorrow, been savin' up to take her out, even borrowing the truck from Darry. She says she love me, ya know. I don't know, I think she's cheating on me." Rory clenched her fists at Soda's words. If that bitch is cheating on her brother she's beat her ass. She relaxed when she heard Dally's voice.

"Ya know," Dally started then stopped waiting for Sodapop to look at him.

"And I'll beat your ass if you ever tell anyone I'm being all mushy right now but I knew she loved me for a long time before she ever said it. She always said 'I love you' just like she does to Two-Bit, or Steve, or Johnny. She said it like she says it to you three, like brothers. But when we got together, for a while she didn't say it at all. I guess she thought it felt different to say it. But when she finally did say it again, I'd been in that bad fight, remember when I was in the hospital? She was so scared and she said it in the ambulance, she said 'Dallas Winston I'm in love with you. I love you, so much'. I'd never forget that. The way she looked at me, the tone in her voice. It was different, ya dig?" Rory smiled listening to Dally talk, he'd never told her that, she did remember that being the first time she ever told him she was in love with him though.

"You ever- you ever got the feeling she was interested in someone else?" Soda asked and Rody was really interested in what Dally had to say about that.

"No. I've never felt that way. I can't speak for Sandy but Rory is to loyal to cheat. She doesn't even flirt with other guys'd hell I don't even think I've seen her check out someone that wasn't in one of those stupid magazines or in a movie. Not only that but the amount of trust I have for that girl, man, that thought would never even cross my mind. I know how much she loves me and I know she would never do anything like that." It made her happy that Dally never thought she would do anything like that because she wouldn't. Not not him, not to any one.

"How'd you know you really loved her? Like loved her not just wanted to have sex with her or something?" Soda no really wanting to hear about his sisters sex life but needing the advice.

"Soda man, you know your sister is a virgin right?" Dally cocked a brow at the younger greaser.

"No, I actually didn't know that. I figured the two of you've, ya know..." Soda trailed off making a hand gesture towards Dally that made him chuckle.

"No, man. She me to be her first but she's not ready and I'd never push her. Darry had that conversation conversation with me a couple months ago. Do I want to sleep with her? Yes. Does she turn me on? Hell yes. Am I glad we haven't Had sex yet? Definitely, because I know our relationship isn't based on sex. Like Sylvia, that was only ever sex. Not with Rory. She pushes me, challenges me. She'll go to the movies with me, eat at the diner and order something that's not a damn salad, play ball with me back me up in a fight if I need it. She's my number one, man. If you don't have other memories with someone other than sex, you can't say you love them," Dally stopped for a minute and Rory couldn't help but smile.

"Ya know, I knew I loved her before we were ever together. She's beautiful, smart, strong, gorgeous body. God she's just everything. I knew I loved her when I saw the way her eyes lit up when I came to visit, how happy she got when I asked her to go to the movies, she would get excited when I stopped by the DX, she's tough as hell, she's the only girl that would flirt back with me and challenge me. My fuckin' dream girl, man. She wasn't scared of me like other girls, sje listened to me and didn't see me as 'big bad Dallas Winston' she just, understood me. Made me feel like a person instead of just some hood rat." Rory felt her eyes tear up a little, Dally didn't really talk much about when he first realized he loved her and for him to open up to her brother about it just made her really happy.

"Wow, man. I had no idea. My sisters lucky to have you." Soda said looking over at the other greaser, happy that his sister had someone that loved her as much as Dallas.

"Naw, it's the other way around. I'm luck the lucky one. Listen, this whole thing with Sandy, talk to her man. Either you'll feel it if she really loves you or you won't. If you don't feel it just go ahead and break it off, ya dig? It'll be harder if you let keep on going and find out she is cheating or doesn't really love you." It was quiet for a few minutes both of the greasers having nothing else to say for now. Rory crept back down the hallway a little bit waiting to make sure they were done talking.

"Dal?" She called out quietly, wrapping her arms around herself.

"In here, doll," He called back as she padded barefoot into the kitchen smiling at the two boys.

"Oooh, chocolate cake. I thought Two-Bit ate it all." She laughed walking over and sitting on Daddy's lap.

"Nah, Darry made another one a couple hours ago." Soda shrugged, Rory picked up the fork Dally had been using and took a bite of the cake. She looked at him for a minute as she chewed the sweet dessert.

"You okay?" She asked his eyes flicking up to meet hers, he knew she could tell something was up so he looked away.

"Oh, um, yeah. I'm fine, I'm actually heading to bed."
He felt bad for lying but he just didn't want to talk about it anymore. He gave her a small smile though she could tell it wasn't genuine.

"Okay, bubs, I love you,"

"I love you, too, bugs" He kissed her head as he walked past. There was that nickname again. She turned sideways in Dally's lap licking the chocolate off of the fork.

"What was that about?" She asked, wrapping her arm around his neck.

"Ah, nothin'. He just needed to have some guy talk that's all." He answered simply, Rory hummed nodding slowly and taking another bite of the cake.

"How you feeling?" He asked, rubbing her thigh and pressing a soft kiss to the underside of her jaw.

"I've been better, I'm okay though. Come back to bed with me?" She asked and how could he say no to that face.

"Yeah, of course," Dally smiled, watching her reach over to put the cover back on the cake. He laughed when she gasped in surprise when he scooped her up in his arms and started carrying her to my room.

"I can walk ya know." She laughed, he just chuckled again  and grinned at her.

"Yeah, I know."