Chapter XIII

"So, your parents are okay with me coming over?" Rory asked Sherri as they were leaving the school parking lot.

"Of course, and my parents are like me, never really understood the whole greaser-soc thing." She shrugged, the wind blowing back her scarlet curls.

"The gang, their all my best friends, they don't understand why I would wanna hang out with a soc, me and Dally even got in an argument over it," She told the girl sadly, surprising her with how open she was being with her. She wouldn't normally talk to just anyone about her relationship with Dally.

"Really? I'm sorry to hear that," She sounded sincere glancing over at me for a second then back at the road.

"It's okay. It's just you know only a couple days ago I got beat up by a soc and now I'm just going over to that side of town like it's nothing. He just doesn't understand because he has so much hatred for the socs, all of the boys do," Rory shrugged letting her hand hang out the window, feeling the cool wind.

"I understand, I have a lot of guy friends and it's pretty much the same way. Even my girlfriends don't really understand why I invited you over tonight. The two girls coming and Marcia were the only ones who didn't seem to have a problem with it but I told them not to come if they did. You're my friend, I'm not gonna let anyone bug you while you over here," Cherry promised looking  over at Rory and smiled.

"Thanks, Cherry," The two girls made small talk mostly about school on the rest of the ride. Rory getting kind of quiet when they got to the west side of town. Big houses, nice cars, couples walking in nice outfits. It was like a picture from the magazines her mom always kept around the house.

"Mom? Dad? I'm home!" Cherry called as they walked into the huge two story house.

"We're in the kitchen honey," A soft woman's voice called out. Cherry gestured for Rory to set her bag down and follow her. There was a petite woman standing at the stove, her blonde hair curled perfectly with a white apron tied neatly over her pink dress. Rory looked over at the sound of newspaper rustling and furrowed her brow at the man as he set the paper down.

"Hey, I know you. You were at my parents funeral." She said slightly confused, pointing towards the man.

"Yes, I was. Your father and I were in school together. Sherri, honey you didn't tell me this was the girl you were bringing home," Mr. Valance spoke gently standing up and walking over to the two girls.

"I had no idea you knew Curtis'," Cherry answered,  looking between the two of us. Mrs. Valance walked over and Rory was so surprised when she pulled her into a hug she didn't even have a chance to hug her back.

"Oh, honey, your parents were such sweet people. We didn't get to see them much before their passing, but-  well, you're welcome here anytime," She said, pulling back and it took a lot for her not to start bawling Roth them and there.

"Thank you," She said quietly, not really knowing what else to say.

"Well, you girls go ahead upstairs, I'll let you know when dinners ready," Mrs. Valance smiled sweetly, shooing them away.

The next surprise was Cherry's room. It was big. A lot bigger than she thought and she I was pretty sure was even bigger than their living room. The walls were a pinkish white color, against the wall by a big window sat a desk, typewriter and various text books. In the corner a small seating area with posters decorating the walls with colorful pillows and magazines. On the other wall, two doors and a big vanity. What really caught her eye was the huge bed. It was probably big enough to sleep all four of the girls comfortably and hanging above the bed was a large canopy that flowed down over the top half of the bed. It looked like something out of a fairytale book.

"So, the other girls won't be here until later but I was thinking, put on some music and have girl talk?" She offered flipping on the radio and Rory forced herself to stop gawking at the other girls room.

"Perfect," She smiled, sitting down in one of the chairs and toeing off her black boots.

The first day at Cherry's was great. Rory surprisingly got along really well with the other girls. They watched movies, she listened to all of the socy gossip, they baked cookies together and stayed up late talking about boys and she was surprised once again when none of the girls freaked out over Dallas being my boyfriend. Tonight they all decided to go to the drive-in and she was honestly  hoping to run into Dally but there was no guarantee he'd be here.

"Hey, girls. I'm gonna head to get some popcorn, want anything?" She asked standing up, the movie hadn't started but she always liked to get hers beforehand. They all politely decline wanting to wait until closer to the movie starting to get their snacks.

She smiled noticing Pony and Johnny leaning against one of the outside walls smoking a cigarette. They looked to be in deep conversation and didn't notice her walking up.

"You two are looking awfully greasy tonight," She teased with a grin as she got closer.

"Rory!" They both pushed off of the wall hugging her tightly. Sne laughed hugging them back, it had been I while she'd seen either of them, always running off together to get in trouble.

"Dal ain't here right now, but he said he might come by," Johnny gave her a small smile like he'd read her thought from earlier.

"That's okay, well do y'all wanna come sit with me and the girls?" She asked and she could have laughed at the way Pony's cheeks turned pink.

"Yeah that could be fun," Pony answered trying to play off his embarrassment.

"Would you go by me a Pepsi and popcorn and whatever you two want?" Rory asked, taking out her wallet to give Pony some money.

"Uh, yeah, Johnny ya want anything?" Pony asked pointing towards the concession area.

"Nah, man. Not right now," Johnny shrugged, Pony shrugged in return before walking away. She watched Pony walk away silently and a united later Johnny turned to her with that kicked puppy dog look.

"Dals real upset about y'all's fight," She knew if anyone Johnny would know about their argument, Johnny was the only one of the guys Dally talked to about real personal stuff.

"Mm." She hummed in acknowledgement, nodding slowly.

"Said everything came out wrong and he didn't mean to get so upset with you," He explained, she looked at him for a moment and shrugged.

"Okay." She said simply turning to check on Pony, seeing him in line and turning back.

"Okay? So your not mad anymore?" He was confused and it made her laugh.

"I was never mad to begin with, he just hurt my feelings. Now c'mon we got a movie to go watch," Sne nudged him with her elbow seeing Pony paying for their snacks.

"Rory, oh, never mind," Johnny stopped himself but she grabbed his arm gently to stop him from walking.

"Hey what's up?" Dne asked gently, all of the boys talked to her about stuff especially Johnny since he didn't even really have a family.

"Nothing. Nothing, can we talk later? After- after you get back home?" He asked and she could hear the embarrassment in his voice.

"Yeah, of course, Johnny. Let's go," Sne slung my arm around his shoulders, the two of them walking over to meet Pony.

"Keep the change," She kissed his cheek taking the popcorn and Pepsi she asked him to get her.

"You sure? It's like $10," He said looking at her unsure.

"Yeah, I'm sure. But if I find out you're buying smokes with it Imma skin ya," She laughed at him rolling his eyes.

"Yeah, yeah. Let's go watch this movie."