Chapter IX

Rory opened the door to the house and shut it quietly pressing her back to the cool wood, smiling to herself as she wrapped Dally's jacket around her body.

"Rory?" Darry called from the kitchen after hearing the front door open.

"Yeah bubs?" She called back, dropping her book-sac on the couch and walking into the kitchen to see Darry surrounded by envelopes and letters, bills.

"You're home late, I thought you were staying with Dally tonight?" He asked still reading the paper in his hand, glancing up at her briefly, not missing the dark hickey on her neck.

"Oh yeah, I was going to but you know school and stuff. Uhh, Speaking of..." She trailed off sitting on the table next to him. He paused looking up at her from the paper and sitting back in the chair.

"Speaking of what? What do you want?" He asked, watching her roll her eyes with a quiet laugh.

"A school friend invited me to a sleep over this weekend, I was wondering if it was okay for me to go," She asked not knowing if she wanted him to actually say yes or not.

"Where is this sleep over?" He cocked an eyebrow at her, it sounded messed up to think but Rory didn't have any friends.

"On the west side of town," She answered scrunching up her nose.

"But Sherri isn't like all the other socs, she's always super nice to me and we've been school friends for a few years now." She added quickly at the look Darry gave her.

"Baby, you and Dal just got jumped by 5 socs on our side of town, what makes you think going over there will be a good idea?" He asked crossing his arms, wondering if she was actually using her head. Something about this just didn't seem right. Rory was an amazing girl but socs didn't just invite greasers over to their houses.

"Well, she said she'd have her mom pick us up from school and bring me back home so I wouldn't have to walk. I was kinda worried about that too it's why she offered," Rory shrugged, but he wasn't just worried about her walking, he would bring her and pick her up if she really wanted to go but even she didn't seem very sure about the situation.

"I don't know, Rory. I'm not really comfortable with you going over there around a bunch of socs," He shook his head, starting to feel bad when she frowned.

"Will you just think about it and let me know in the morning? I understand if not but I would just really like to have some girl friends, ya know?" She shrugged again sliding off the table, she was trying to hide her disappointment but he could tell she was upset. He was sure he would let her go, it didn't mean he was any less nervous.

"I'll think about it, and Rory?" He said, looking up she turned around in the kitchen doorway.

"Yeah?" She asked facing him.

"Tell Dally if I see any more hickeys on your neck I'll beat his ass," He pointed at when with the pen in his hand, forcing away the laugh when her hand flew up to her neck and bed eyes widened. He chuckled quietly when he heard her bedroom door open and shut.

"So how'd it go?" Soda asked casually, watching his sister jump surprised that he was in her room. She blushed knowing exactly what he was talking about.

"Jesus, nearly gave me a heart attack. And I  don't know what your talking about," She shrugged hopping on the bed next to him.

"Liar. Talk to me. C'mon. I heard you tell Dare something about girlfriends which you don't have. You only have me. So spill it," He said unable to hold back his own when smiled real big at him.

"Oh, it was perfect Soda," She sighed happily, laying her head over on his shoulder, picking it right back up to look at him.

"He borrowed Bucks t-bird to pick me up and then he took me to this old house. It was definitely abandoned but still in good shape, ya dig? Well he parked the car first then blind folded me and led me inside. I could hear the quiet music playing, but Soda it was the sweetest thing ever. He has all kinds of candles lit and a huge pallet with a bunch of covers and pillows and it was just perfect..." She trailed off looking over at Soda who had a gentle look on his face.

"What?" She asked sheepishly, ducking her head as she tucked  some hair behind my ear.

"You just sound really happy, baby," He said reaching out to grab the back of her head and kiss her forehead.

"How was your date with Sandy?" She asked when he pulled back and looked down at his lap for a minute. Rory furrowed her brows at his silence but before shd could ask what was wrong he looked up at her, tears shining in his bright blue eyes.

"Soda-"

"She cheated on me, Rory," He whispered, her heart breaking at the crack in his voice. She reached out pulling him into a tight hug, his arms wrapping around her just as tight. She felt the tears on her neck, felt his body shaking but she'll never forget the quiet heartbroken sobs that were muffled by her shoulder.

"Oh, Soda. I'm so sorry, bubba." She whispered running one hand through his soft hair.

"I thought she loved me," He cried and Rory didn't  know if it was physically possible for her heart to break anymore than it already had.

"What happened, Soda?" She asked, pulling back to look at him.

"I don't know- I planned this amazing night for us. I had been suspicious about her cheating but I thought maybe she was just being distant because I was working so much. We got through the whole evening, dinner and a movie, I brought her to my special- my special place. You know I never bring anyone there. I was telling her about it and how dad used to bring me there and she stopped me and told me she 'couldn't do this anymore' and told me she cheated." His voice changed from sadness to anger back to sadness as he spoke. Rory wanted nothing more than to find the blonde bitch and punch her in the face.

"She's an idiot Soda. I know you love her. But she cheated that's not someone you want to be with." She said quietly rubbing his back.

"Of course, yeah I know. It just hurts because I really thought she loved me back. She was there with me when mom and dad died, and everything between then and now. I thought I was gonna marry her," His voice broke off at the end as more tears spilled from his eyes.

"Oh, bubs, I know, I'm so sorry," She whispered pulling him into a hug.

They stayed like that, hugging each other as he cried. She eventually talked him into laying down and just held her brother until he fell asleep.