In-laws

"Ayaan POV"

" I would never raise my hand on any women." Those were my words and what I did was real opposite of it. Really ayaan you hit her not once but twice and second time was intentional, you knew what were you doing but you were so drunk upon your own anger that you missed the way she was wincing and those tears in her eyes those were the reminder for me which took me out of my rage. What was I thinking I even thrown her on her bed and said some more nasty words like a garnishing of some dish.

I was feeling so embarrassed that i left early for my parents house without her and asked Max my driver to fetch her so that she can join us for dinner on time. Right now I can't face her, what's done is done. I cannot apologize in front of her, and why the hell I am even thinking of apologising. She signed up for this willingly right, now she have to face this.

When I entered my childhood home, I was immediately hugged by two little hands buckling up my legs. Let me introduce you with krish, 'baby of the house' he is my sister nia's adopted son. He is 2 but he behaves as if he is the master of all.

My sister was always very independent, she is one of those who people call selfmade. She is a well known designer, I met my love 'lilly in her runway show. She have never shows her weaker side to anyone specially to me. Maybe because she is like another mother figure to me. She doesn't even want to get married, according to her the partner she is seeking has never even born yet, my parents tried really hard to fix her a match so that they can die happily after becoming grandparents and for that she adopted krish.

"Mamu(maternal uncle) you came. Cho me my mami(maternal uncle's wife). " I was trying to forget her but his cute voice has bring back all the guilt I was feeling, wait did I said guilty. I am not guilty.

"Baby you saw your mami yesterday only, come on leave your mamu alone"
Nia came for my rescue. "Where is this wife of yours, everyone is waiting for you two only" My mum said sternly, she was very strict parent. We literally lived our entire life under her command. She is really hard to please, although she has raised us with values. Where as my dad always stayed busy with work, never home or out of the city sometimes out of the country, My mother has played both mother and father's role to us. Overall she is a perfect Indian mother, traditional yet modern.

"She is on her way mum, actually I had some business to attend so I preferred coming straight from there. I've sent Max to fetch her. She will be here soon. " She was looking at me doubtfully like she already knows what I did. When she left for the kitchen I took a breath which I didn't realized I was holding.

"Now tell me how much pegs down? " I asked my sister and she knew exactly what I was asking, when it comes to parties my father is a complete drunkard and than he never realize what's he doing or saying. "Few I guess, 4 or 5 maybe and you gonna be in trouble as your new wife doesn't know about your crazy family yet, can't wait to see her reactions" And here we go again back to her, but really she would be getting a shock. I hoped this night to get over soon.

Then I went out into the lawn on the backyard of our bungalow, the place were lit up with so many fairy lights, old Indian songs were playing on record and the strong smell of barbeque has filled my nostrils the minute I came out here. Bonfire was set up in the middle of the lawn and it was surrounded by all old men's. These people were friend of my father and some of them also the business partners with Malik Enterprise .

I was trying my best to avoid them and was about to grab myself a some skewers when one of the old man from the lot called my name. "Hey ayaan is here" I was moving my legs forcefully towards them when another oldy shouted "look at her beautiful wife, she is looking as pretty as yesterday" all of them turned their heads towards the backdoor of the house along with me.

Oh my god, she was looking diva in that saree, suddenly I was feeling underdressed as I only wore a pair of blue jeans with a white shirt. She was smiling which was not reaching her ears. I knew the reason but I recovered from my daze and walked towards her and placed my hand on the small of her back on which she jumped out of her skin. The speck of fear could be seen under her eyes which she was trying so hard to hide under her fake smile but I knew, I knew that I am responsible for this fear.

___________________________________________

"Swarni POV"

"Welcome bhabi(brother's wife), you are looking stunning my decision of arranging your wardrobe was so right"
My sister-in-law opened the front door for me, she is so beautiful and she was calling me stunning huh maybe she is trying to flatter me but still my face has changed into million shades of red. "Thank you miss malik" I was smiling at her when she asked me "you can call me Nia like others,  all of us were waiting for you specifically mum. Let's go meet her first"

I was in an awe with the interiors of this house. The house seems to be jumped out of the magazines. We crossed the huge living area and emerged into a kitchen where my mother in law was shouting at her cooks. When she saw us I immediately looked at my toes and than I remembered something for which I walked towards her and touched her feet for blessings. When I stood straight her eyes we're ready to pop out of her face. I said sorry for no reason and than something happened which I didn't expected. She hugged me and now it's my turn to be shocked and when I looked at Nia even she looked as shocked as me.

"You shouldn't be late, where were you? " She was saying this in stern tone but the concern in her voice were really hard to miss. I was still in shock when Nia nudge me with the side of her elbow to reply and I told her that I was running late because of the traffic which was partially true.

Then they took me out in the lawn where everybody was present including my husband. He was stunned looking at me, but his face was doing nothing but rubbing salt on the bruises he left on my arms. His presence were reminding me about what happened this evening. Reminding what an evil person he was.

My breath started to get uneven when I saw him approaching me and he placed his hand on my back on which my body has reacted immediately, no not with love but with fear. I was feeling so scared of him that I can't even look into his eyes. Although I tried my best to conceal it with a smile. All I was hoping for nothing but to end this night as soon as possible.