{1}

Mack's POV

I traced the large red number '3' on the back of my lacrosse jersey with my finger. It's threads so even and finely sewn into the perfectly clean white and black jersey. I held it up and smiled at the sight of my last name above my number. Adler. It's German for eagle, which in my opinion is absolutely amazingly cool.

I peered out my window to see my neighbor, Piper Nash, across the street checking out her jersey as well. I scrunched my nose at the sight of her. She wasn't ugly, no she was quite pretty actually, but I just hated her. So. Much. My parents told me all the terrible stuff her family had done, and it was obvious they had taught her their tricks. She disgusted me.

My eyes narrowed as hers met mine. I felt anger rising as she mocked me with her thoughts. Even the mention of her made me so angry and so....intimidated? No. I'm better then her, sure she's a close second, but no. It is factual my skills compared to hers are so much better.

I grabbed my pack of sunflower seeds and popped a few in my mouth. I always have a pack nearby for when I get angry or have an anxiety attack. It calms me down. Every seed and its saltiness just makes my entire body feel so calm.

I looked away from the window after I shut the blinds. I felt the presence of someone behind me. I turned around to see my dad standing at the doorway.

"Is that your new lacrosse jersey?" He asked approaching me.

I nodded and set it on the bed. "Everyone got them today during our meeting. Our first game is on Friday at 6. You'll be there to see me absolutely destroy Elk Hill right?"

My dad gave a kind nod. "And to absolutely destroy that Nash girl. Ugh, her family is a sin."

I turned away and smiled. "Yeah her too. You should see her in that jersey. She looks ridiculous."

He gave me a smirk. "I'm sure she does. Her entire family is ridiculous." He walked to the doorway. "Now don't forget about that track meet on Monday. Make sure that you are faster than her. No matter what."

I nodded as he walked out of the room. I got a notification about lacrosse practice in an hour. I smiled and texted my teammate, and my best friend, Mia. I have been driving her to practice since she totaled her car after hitting a tree. I got dressed and grabbed my bag. I hopped in my Jeep and pulled out of my driveway. I peered in my mirror to see Piper right behind me in her fancy little white Range Rover.

I pulled up to the stop light and noticed her car pull up next to mine. She rolled down her window and gave me a nasty look. "Hey, Adler." She looked forward and repositioned herself in her seat.

"Hello to you, Piper." I said with a light hint of annoyance.

She rolled her eyes. "You going to pi-"

"Hey look! A green light! See you at practice." I laughed as I drove away.

I pulled up to Mia's driveway and picked her up. "Hey, girl."

She climbed in and gave me a fist pump. "You going to kill Piper in practice today?"

I smiled. "As usual. Ready to go?"

She rolled down her window and smiled. "Yep. You?"

"Absolutely."