{2}

Piper's POV

"Hey, Piper." A mimicking voice sounded from behind me.

"Eh-hem. Adler." I turned to Mia. "Oh hey, did you enjoy your ride in the crap-mobile?" I asked giving Mack a snarky look.

"Hey, my orange Jeep is a beauty. At least I don't have some bland, white, enclosed car." Mack snapped back.

I rolled my eyes and walked away. I unpacked my equipment and geared up.

Mack turned the corner to my locker and came over to me. "You listen to me. You stay out of my way and I won't purposely shove my stick into your leg today making you fall and twist your ankle. Got it?"

"Whatever you say, Mack. Just please go away." I muttered.

She frowned slightly. She probably expected me to respond with something rude, like usual, but I didn't. For some reason I wasn't in the mood. Mack sees this whole hating each other thing as a game. I don't. It's real life and that's something Mack doesn't understand.

Mack walked away and peered over her shoulder once before leaving. I sighed and grabbed my water before walking to the field.

"Piper! Wait up!" Someone yelled from behind me.

"Hey, Carson." I said with a smile.

Carson. She's about 5'3 and is built like a cereal box. Yet she's actually really strong and funny. She's my best friend.

Carson began speaking while we walked. "I saw Mack take a pill before practice. Maybe it's drugs. Maybe we should tell! Maybe-"

"Shut up. Just...shut up. She has really bad anxiety and gets attacks quite often. It's probably for that. Remember last year during that math test. She struggled and then walked out of class after the teacher told her she was overreacting." I said annoyed. I don't know why I was so on edge today, but I was.

Carson looked down. "Oh."

I felt really bad.

"Hey, look, I'm sorry. Want to grab something to eat after this?" I offered.

Carson stayed silent and turned her head.

I sighed. "Blue Ridge Cafe?"

Carson smiled and looked up. "If you reeeeally want to."

I rolled my eyes and set my stuff down on the sidelines. I warmed up with some simple "stick tricks."

Carson scooped a ball and stepped onto the field. She passed me the ball and I passed it back. We continued this until the coach told us to line up. We always started with running. Twice down and back; light jog. Twice down and back; sprint. Half way walking on tippy toes, rest of the half walking on heels. Then repeat on the way back.

This was easy for me, and Mack, since we were on the track team. Some other teammates were on the track team too, but it was really only Mack and me that mattered. 'The two stars.' That was one reason we hated each other. We only always shared the spotlight. It was never, "Piper, the number one player of lacrosse, basketball and track." Just...Mack and Piper. The TWO stars of the game.

We hated each other for several reasons though. Our parents hated each other first though. It all started on a road back in 1988. It's sensitive though, so I can't really bring it up.

Whenever Mack isn't worried about hating me, she seems like an all around down to earth, kind person. Sea turtles have been her favorite animal forever. Since before it was cool to like turtles. She made that very clear. She saved up all her money and donated 600 dollars to an organization that focuses on saving the turtles.

She was in the newspaper once for giving a poor kid a new bike after it was stolen. She put a tracker in the bike though so if it got stolen, she would know. It's so simple yet so complex.

Although she is all of this, she is also a great person to hate all at the same time. My parents have told me all the juicy details about her and her family. They just fed her all their evil ways and now she's the way she is. At least around me and my friends.

Sometimes I just wish things were different.