{7}

Mack's POV

"Ok. That's all of them, Mr. Grogsby." I said while climbing off a chair after gathering all the sticky notes from the ceiling.

"You're free to go, Ms. Adler." He said politely.

I exited the room and packed up. I decided that I'd go home then get some food and head back to school to work on basketball skills.

I walked down a hallway towards the entrance. But there was someone right across from the entrance, by the gym. As I got closer I realized it was Piper.

She glanced up at me and I gave her a wave. She seemed confused but waved back.

I exited the building and headed to my car. The time read 4:30. I got home and ran inside to grab my basketball gear and to change into some comfier clothing. I decided to wait until 6:00 to leave.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'd decided to run through the McDonalds drive through and pick up some food. Their nuggets would smack right now. I got a large sprite along with that and a small fry.

I waited outside the building to finish eating. It was 6:30 by that point. I saw Carson walk out a few minutes later.

After throwing away my trash, I began to walk to the gym. I entered the locker room and changed. But I noticed something. Someone else's bag was there too.

I went through the door that entered the gym and heard a clean swish. I walked to see Pipers back facing me. She shot again, making it. After I watched her take one more shot, I emerged from my corner and walked a few feet toward her.

"Your shots really good. It's improved since last season." I mentioned.

She paused after hearing my voice. Piper set down the ball and whipped around. She was standing about 15 feet from me.

"Oh but let me guess, it's not good enough to be better than you?" She said sarcastically.

I felt kind of hurt. "That's not what I was saying."

"What has been going on with you lately? Huh? Why aren't you being mean to me anymore?" She questioned.

Woah. That hit hard. Mean. I never consider that. I scratched my head and looked down. "I don't know. I guess I just saw how hurt you were that day at the cafe. I didn't know if it was because of me or not."

She picked up the ball and rolled it over to me. "C'mon. Let's play a game of HORSE."

I picked up the ball and walked over to her. "You're on. In the least mean way possible."

We actually had a great time. The thing was...we just couldn't finish the game. In the end, by 7:15, we both had an H. That was it. It'd come to the conclusion that she wasn't better than me. I wasn't better than her.

We then sat down on the bleachers and we started to talk.

"Y'know, I never wanted to hate you. I just...had to." She said.

I sighed. "I'm going to be honest. I didn't hate you. For a while. But then I just got so used to telling myself that I did hate you and that you were a bad person, that...I started to actually hate you."

She sat there in silence for a minute. She looked up at me and broke the silence. "There's a part of the story that always left out. The part I don't talk about. The part you don't know about."

I gave her a questioning look. "What?"

She fidgeted with her fingers for a second. "The crash left my mom with a traumatic brain injury. She was so close to death...."

Hearing her voice break hurt me. She wasn't even there to see it yet it traumatized her. In that moment that's when I really took her in. Her details. I didn't just see Piper Nash. I saw a broken girl with dirty blonde hair that had the slightest wave to it, a girl with blue and green eyes with a brown speckle in them here or there. She had a cute little button nose and a heart shaped face. I noticed her freckles spreaded across her cheeks and nose and reach towards her forehead.

She stood up breaking my train of thought. "Sorry. I shouldn't have said anything. Especially not to my arch nemesis." She chuckled lightly.

I stood up and patted her back. "Don't consider me you arch nemesis anymore. I think I want to end this rivalry now as much as you do."

She smiled up at me. Her teeth were straight and shiny. "Then it's agreed. We end this once and for all."

I gave her a nod and held my hand out. She shook it and we headed for the door. She pushed on one but it didn't budge. "That's weird."

I tried the door by it. It didn't open. We both had concerned expression on our faces.

We tried the rest of the doors, but not a single one opened.

"Shit, shit, shit, shit!" She cried.

"Is there any other way out?" I asked panicked.

Piper looked around for a second and then shook her head.

I shook my head angrily. "Great. We are trapped."