acht.

AN EXCITED GRIN was plastered on armin's pale complexion as he read and took in every word of the book he was currently reading. the thrill that ran in his veins was pleasurable, the pulse of his heart quickened and the small giggles that he tried to hide now left his lips.

     ever since he received the books from you, he couldn't wait to read them. he was thankful and happy that he received such an amazing gift, from a human no less! he appreciates it more than anyone could think, especially when you would take time to read him stories and explain the things he couldn't understand. just the fact that you were so patient with him makes armin overjoyed. he swore he felt his stomach become light and warm when you gave him the book with a bright smile. even now, as he read the current page with a smile, the light feeling never disappeared.

     the sudden knock on the door suddenly jolted armin out of his daydream state from reading the book he was given. he clicked his tongue in annoyance—right when it was getting good, too! he looked at the door with wide frantic eyes, standing up from his bed with the two books in his hand.

"w-wait a minute!" he called out nervously, the panic starting to settle in.

     the blond looked around his small room, trying to find a place he could hide his books in. if his grandfather saw it, who knows what would happen? its colorful cover definitely doesn't belong in their world. his bed was not a choice since his grandpa was always the one who cleans his sheets and fixes up his bed.

     finally, he settled on his desk. how lucky he was to have drawers where he could lock it, no one would find out about his deepest secrets. he grinned and pried it open, placing the books inside before shutting it with a slam and locking it with a small key, hiding it somewhere on the same desk afterward.

     he rushed to the door and swung it open, almost having a mini-heart attack as soon as he saw his grandpa standing outside his room patiently.

     "ah, there you are. eren and mikasa are waiting for you downstairs," he told the blond, ruffling his hair with a smile. armin grinned and closed the door of his room, following his father figure downstairs where the two were waiting.

     "by the way, is something wrong? you immediately went back to your room after you ate your breakfast," his grandfather mentioned, "usually, you'd help me with doing the dishes." he joked, a laugh following after.

     armin cringed as he remembered earlier, blushing lightly as he mumbled a small apology. it wasn't like his usual helpful self if he was being honest, but he immediately wanted to read the books he got that he rushed out. he couldn't help that he was excited!

     it wasn't his first time reading because the books his kingdom had were usually about the history of their kind and armin already read almost all of it. these 'novels' or stories that the humans wrote were a change of pace and he wanted more of it.

     once he got downstairs, he was immediately greeted by his two friends with a bright smile and a wave.

     he left his abode after saying goodbye to his grandfather, following the two to the busy street. different mermaids whizzed past them, some were the garrison guards that greeted them, some were elders they knew with their frequent visit to the market. their kingdom wasn't small but it wasn't big either and despite growing up inside the safety of the walls for more than fifty years, armin wasn't familiar with every part of it, and every day when he finds something new, he would be amazed.