vier­und­dreißig.

THE STILL WATER was a bit skeptical in armin's eyes as he went back to his kingdom after his quick meeting with y/n. usually, there would be small waves or currents every time he goes back home but as of now, everything was just... lifeless, as he sees it. it wasn't a bad thing, he just found it amazing as he never sees the energetic ocean do it before.

     as he passed the familiar polychromatic corals and the different kinds of fishes he usually see, the trench where his kingdom awaits was calling for him. he quickly swam downwards and entered the cave, quietly moving towards the open gate. sapphire eyes peeked through the entrance, his eyes shifting around the dimly lit streets for any sign of merfolk that might've been awake. seeing no one in sight, he lets out a sigh of relief and entered the walls as fast as he could.

     however, he froze.

     guards wearing the brown jacket with a rose as for their badge swam out of their hiding place, sharp spears pointing towards the blond. armin then realized they were the protectors of the walls, the garrison regiment. the soldiers were yelling something to him and to their fellow comrades but he couldn't even hear it, his ears just started blocking out the yells of the soldiers.

     sapphire eyes widen as they grow close, never putting their weapons down. he couldn't move even if he wanted to; he was so fucked and there was nothing he could do. if he even thought of escaping, he'd only be killed at the spot. just how the hell did they know he left? he was so sure that no one saw him escape a while ago.

     "put your hands up now!" one guard barked, scowling. armin gulped and did so, his arms finally moving yet shaking as he did what he was ordered to.

     shit, this is bad... this is very bad. he thought nervously, looking around the place only to see more soldiers surrounding him. his adam's apple bobbed, his heart beating erratically as one soldier neared him.

     armin's eye looked down upon seeing the familiar face of a man, the man he, eren and mikasa usually play with during their childhood. he caught sight of the man's frown, disappointed. the soldier, hannes, grabbed hold of his wrists before pulling them down, pressing his wrists against his back.

     "i expected better from you." was all he heard from hannes before being dragged to the castle where his impending doom awaits.

     mermaids started waking up to check what was going on, hearing noises out of their homes so early in the morning. the blond looked down, in hopes of not seeing the scowl or disgusting looks from the merfolk who woke up.

     the walk towards the castle wasn't that long, maybe after a painful six minutes or so. the soldiers that lead him towards the castle didn't say anything to him, they were only glowering. it was still dark and the parallel dim lights that showed the way to the castle was almost like a parade for him, calling him to his own death. armin knew this would happen soon but he wasn't  worried for himself. his one worry was his grandfather; what would he do if he found out that his grandchild did something so stupid and will die to pay for his mistake? he could only hope that the old man wouldn't be so worried and scared that his health would decline.

     armin knew what he did was wrong but he still did it anyway. he was fueled by curiosity and love to continue his visits, and at this moment even when death himself was knocking on his door, he doesn't regret it.

     he learned a lot during his time in the surface. if only he knew this would happen earlier than he expected, he could've said goodbye to y/n properly without leaving her wondering where he was. armin regretted not being able to tell her how much he loves her, no matter what, and how lucky he was to have her before he left. if he knew this was going to happen, he would've stayed with her longer. if he knew that would be his last glance of the moon and the stars, he'd appreciate their beauty more with the person he love so much.