ein­und­vierzig.

THE MERMAIDS RUSHED against the current, with the three soldiers rushing ahead of armin. his pace was slower than usual, and he was left behind. his mind was preoccupied and he was having a dilemma; should he get back to his kingdom where his death awaits or stay by y/n's side, even if it won't work out? he just saw her again, he got to touch her and kiss her again, and now they'd be separating their paths once more!

     armin looked down and glanced at the corals instead, his face hidden by his bangs, as his eyes started to well up with stinging tears. 

     no, i-i can't leave her again!

     he badly wanted to turn around, but something in him forced him to stay. he promised y/n that he'd save their kind, and although he wanted to be selfish for once, he couldn't leave his friends and family to fend off for themselves. if anything, y/n would be disappointed if he chose her instead of his own kind.

     oh, why do they have to be different? why was the world so cruel? why wouldn't they leave the two alone to be in love?

     biting his lip, he allowed the tears to spill and mix with the ocean waters. armin's heart ached and longed for the h/c-haired he fell in love with but he could no longer do anything. the blond promised that he'd put his family first before her, and if that was the only thing he could do to show that he really cared for her, then he'd do it. he only hoped that they would, indeed, meet again soon where they'd read each other stories. maybe not now when people are looking for them, but in the future where they aren't so different and they could leave each other freely.

     in another life.

     "oi," he looked up in surprised, "pick up your speed, you little shit, not everyone will wait for you." levi hissed as he turned back around, irritated at the fact that the young mermaid was taking his sweet time to leisure around the ocean when they had some saving to do. armin only mumbled a quiet apology, his tone disheartened before doing what he was ordered to.

     this was the first time they got to fight back from the humans, and armin should feel happy or any of the sorts! and yet, he couldn't find the will to do so. they may have won, but he lost someone important to him.

     hanji and erwin glanced at each other from the front, their eyes softened at the sight of the heartbroken blond. though they wanted to comfort him, say anything that would lift his mood, they have no idea how. only now did they realize that their shared relationship was so much deeper. those two, despite different, understood each other. their love was outstanding, it held an emotional connection. and to have it taken away from you because of fate would hurt, much more than they could even imagine. 

     the brunette only let out a deep sigh, her eyes trained on the unconscious mermaid on her arms. her stomach was tingling in happiness while her hazel hues glistened, ah... this is how it feels to counter-attack those humans...

     soon, they reached the trench and swam past the walls before storming towards the castle. they had no time to waste, those pesky humans would be up against their throat once again to capture another mermaid and these mermaids knew that if they had to, MARLEY would use brute force and would kill anyone if they have to.

     there were civilians watching inside their home, eyes wide and mouth agape after seeing the heir of the throne now resting warmly against a survey corps soldier. the merfolk cheered and congratulated the soldiers for their successful mission, but they had no time to relish in their praises. the military police caught sight of the soldiers with the heir and quickly opened the gate to let them in, a look of surprise crossing their faces.