acht­und­zwanzig.

CHEERFUL SMILES were exchanged as you passed some close acquaintances from some of your classes. beside you was reiner, who looked on with a puzzled look at the unusual friendly aura you were radiating. he wasn't going to lie, but seeing you so energetic first thing in the morning (before six!) and passing out the brightest smiles you could offer was something he least expected you to do. one, you were always tired and grumpy in the mornings. two, what's so great in mornings for you to suddenly change your attitude?

     seeing you so jubilant and look like an angel every day despite the stress you were going through made him smile and somehow happy too. his heart would flutter whenever he heard your laughs and giggles even from afar, but it would be an understatement when he says that he isn't suspicious of your sudden change of attitude that started about a week ago.

     even the others were confused as to why you were so happy every time they see you. pieck thought you managed to get a boyfriend, reiner specifically considering he was always with you, while porco thought you killed someone you hated and managed to get away with the murder. despite their confusing and weird theories and guesses, your only reply was "i thought that life is so much more. i'm always tired and stressed but smiling makes it better." which you thought was a great explanation to get them off your back but it really was a cheesy one. 

     after all, you couldn't possibly tell them that the reason you were so happy and bright was that you now had a boyfriend whom you love dearly. armin just managed to make you smile every day, even if you still haven't seen him. the thought of him alone was enough to give you butterflies. plus, if you do explain the reason, they'll ask you who this lucky guy is and force you to make him meet them.

     which is a very bad idea.

     you love and appreciate each and single one of them, but you couldn't risk the chance and tell them that mermaids are real. there's a chance they won't believe you but there's also the possibility that they will. even if you did ask them or pleaded to make it a secret, there's still that doubt running through your mind that stops you from telling them the truth. secrets really messed up your conscience, you got good at lying too. that, and eren and mikasa will kill you and dump your body in the ocean if they find out that you told someone else.

     reiner almost caught on thanks to your picture, you don't need the whole gang teaming up and literally finding the guy. they can declare a war against nations just to find your supposed-boyfriend.

     "y/n!" a calm voice called out as you exited your ecology class, other students filing out the room. you looked behind you and saw pieck with her hair down, waving at you with a small closed-eye smile. you waited for your black-haired friend to catch up to you, staying behind as some of your new friends passed by and bid their goodbyes. "hm, you're making new friends huh? what about us?" she asked as she watched your classmates chatter, pouting as she linked her arms with yours.

     you chuckled softly and walked beside her, shaking your head. "i won't replace my friends so easily." you said with a warm smile, causing the female behind you to nod in relief. "anyways, did you want something?"

     "yep! this weekend, we're going to have another movie marathon." pieck reminded you as you walk down the stairs and to the second floor, "so you better get ready and keep yourself awake, got it?" she pinched your cheeks before pulling away from your hold, wearing another smile before disappearing into a hallway.

     you paused at the bottom of the steps, eyes lingering on the fading figure of your friend. you bit the inside of your cheeks and began your walk to your next class, your thoughts suddenly going haywire as you overthink your friend's invite.