17 | give him up

"What do you think is going to happen?" Jovie asked Bellamy as they stood guard outside. Finn was in one of the tents. Jovie wanted to stay with him, but he had said he wanted to have some time alone, so her next best option was keeping guard.

"I don't know," Bellamy answered honestly. "But we won't let them have him." Bellamy knew how much Finn meant to Jovie. Jovie didn't show when she was scared, but he knew she was. He had learned to understand her, even when she didn't show her emotions.

"Jus drein jus daun. Jus drein jus daun," the sound of a herd of Grounders chanting filled the air. Jovie's hands instinctively tightened around the handle of her daggers. The whole thing was giving her flashbacks to back at the delinquents' camp when they had fought the Grounders for the first time. This time they were fighting them for Finn.

"They're trying to scare us," Bellamy announced as the soldiers at Camp Jaha stood ready with their guns loaded.

"No one shoot unless you get the order," Jovie demanded. She was not going to have another reckless incident like the one that got them in this mess in the first place. All it took was one scared guard to slip and pull the trigger. Then it would be all over.

"Open the gate," Abby said as her, Clarke, Bellamy, and Jovie walked forward. Two Grounders with masks riding horses were at the gate.

"Where's the boy?" One of them asked.

"We're not giving him up," Abby answered. "We're ready to fight, if that's what it comes to." A horn blew and the riders were quick to retreat.

"Watch the woods. Watch for movement!" Bellamy said.

"Bellamy," Clarke said, turning their attention to the woods.

"Don't shoot!" Kane screamed as he walked out of the woods. Jovie internally let out a breath of relief. She didn't want to admit it, but she had been concerned about him. She had urged him to talk to the Grounders' Commander, to try for peace. She didn't want to have another person's life weighing on her. "Don't shoot!" He casually approached the camp, immediately talking to Abby.

"You can't be out in the open. We need to get somewhere safe," Bellamy said.

"It's safe, for the moment," Kane replied. "Come on, we need to talk. I managed to buy us a bit of time." As he passed by, he made eye contact with Jovie and gave her a small smile and a short head nod. She returned it. She still didn't particularly like him, but her respect for him was starting to grow.

It felt like hours that Abby was in the meeting with Kane and Jaha. Jovie stood impatiently outside with Bellamy and Raven as they waited for her to finish. They needed to be the first ones to hear the plan. Abby finally walked out and the three of them immediately jumped in.

"What's happening?" Raven asked.

"You were in there a long time," Bellamy noted.

"There was a lot to talk about," Abby said vaguely.

"Well, what's going on?" Raven asked.

"There was a lot to talk about," Abby repeated.

"What are you going to do?" Jovie questioned.

"Hey, we are not turning him over to the Grounders," Bellamy ordered as he stepped in front of her to block her from walking.

"Step aside now," Abby said.

"Abby!" Jovie said. She ignored the blonde.

"We're all trying to find a way out of this," she said before walking away.