29 | all too familiar

It was a couple long hours later when the lights in Mount Weather flickered. Jovie had a feeling it meant that her people were getting somewhere. As much as she was glad that they were succeeding, she wished she was there to help them. She didn't know what their plan was or how far along they were and it was driving her crazy. They didn't even know where she was.

"Attention. Class 1 quarantine protocols are now in effect," a man said over the PA system. "All citizens must report to Level 5 immediately. Hard-seal lockdown in T-minus-30 minutes. This is not a drill." That had to mean that her people were winning.

It wasn't much later that Cage entered her room again, this time with his head guard, Emerson. She had to wonder what he could possibly want from her now.

"Come here to say I was right?" She said. She sat with her back against the wall, not even bothering to stand for him. "Based on those announcements, it doesn't seem like your people have much longer."

"Well, for a matter of fact, Jovie, it does seem you were right about one thing," he said. "You're gonna die for your people." He looked over at Emerson and gave him one nod. Emerson advanced on Jovie, leaning down to yank her up. Realizing what was happening, she mustered all the energy she had left.

"Get the fuck off of me!" She screamed, punching and kicking him to try to get him off. This just seemed to piss him off because he returned it to Jovie with much greater strength. The final blow came from his electric baton. She laid still as she breathed heavily in pain. It took another guard to pull her to her feet. She was barely even walking as they dragged her with them.

It was the sound of a drill in the distance that made her realize how truly fucked she was. She thought that would be over now that Dr. Tsing was dead but apparently nothing would stop them. "Please, no," she cried out. She desperately wanted to get out of their grip but it was like her body wasn't listening to her brain. Her legs barely kept her standing as they pulled her closer and closer to the noise.

When they finally walked into the room, her heart started pounding more when she saw familiar faces. She wanted to cry just seeing Raven and Miller and more of her people chained up to the walls.

"Oh my God, Jo," Raven said as they continued to drag her further into the room. Jovie wasn't a weak person, but Raven had never seen her so beaten down and dull.

"Chain her up over there. And make sure she's extra secure," Cage said. Normally Jovie would understand why they made sure she was tied up tight because she was known for trying to escape. However, between the lack of sleep, the lack of food, being drilled into multiple times, and just being beat, she didn't have much left in her to try anything. When they chained her up, she ended up having to lean against the wall just to stay up. The metal handcuffs dug into her wrists so tight she was sure they were going to bleed but she didn't even care.

"Did we take any losses?" Cage asked his man.

"Not as many as they did, sir, but I'm afraid I'm the only one left who's been cured," he replied. "Some of the kids are still missing." That had to include Bellamy as he wasn't in the room. "If you'd like I can take a team in hazmats. We'll sweep the other levels."

"No. No more wasted lives," Cage decided. Jovie squeezed her eyes shut when the boy on the table began getting drilled into again. The skin on her hip began burning just listening to it. She felt his pain as if it were her own. "In 48 hours we will all be on the ground. Take off their hoods."

The guards peeled away the black hoods on the prisoners. It was when Jovie heard Miller that she opened her eyes again to see that it was her people. She connected eyes with Kane. He looked shocked to see her in the state that she was, probably because Jovie Murphy had never looked as defeated as she did then.

"What is wrong with you people?" Kane breathed out.

"Where's my daughter?" Abby asked.

"I'm sorry it had to come to this," Cage said. Jovie wanted to scream at him that he wasn't sorry but she couldn't find it in her. She just remained silent as she stayed slumped against the wall. Soon Kane and Abby were chained up next to her.

"Jovie, are you okay?" Kane asked. She just stared at him with a blank expression. She was clearly not okay but if she said that out loud then she wouldn't be able to hold it together. Jovie was hanging on by the thinnest string, and if she wasn't so determined to see Bellamy again then she was afraid she would just give up right then and there. It seemed Kane sensed this. "We're going to get out this. You are going to get out of this. I can promise you that." Jovie wanted to believe him, but she was finding it hard to do.

When she heard the other doctor announce that the boy on the table was dead and that they needed another one, she found herself pressing her body further into the wall. It was almost as if she did that then they wouldn't pick her. Fortunately, it worked. Unfortunately, it was Raven that they chose.

"No. No, take me. Don't touch her," Kyle Wick said. "Don't touch her!" Jovie flinched when they shocked Raven with the electric baton. She hated that they were just hurting the people that she cared about like it meant nothing. Maybe to them it didn't. It's why Jovie never wanted to try for peace with the Mountain Men. At least with the Grounders she saw some kind of humanity in them.

Jovie watched in shock as Raven suddenly bit the guard's face.

"Hold her! Hold her down!" The other guard screamed. Raven desperately thrashed around on the table as she screamed at them to get off of her. The second they got her restrained, the doctor picked up the drill to begin. Jovie turned her head. She couldn't watch, not when it was Raven on the table. Her screams were deafening and it was all too familiar.