Snow Day

Fluff
February 1985

El sat criss cross applesauce on her bed and squeezed the cream teddy bear that Mike had gotten her for Valentine's Day, while she watched one of her favorite soaps. She was home alone. The snow fell delicately from the sky and settled on the ground, El noticed it happened to be more than usual, the snow just kept on falling. El looked over at the alarm clock that sat on her vanity.
"Twelve zero zero." El said to herself. She groaned and dramatically fell against the wall. She knew Mike didn't finish school until 3:15 and likely wouldn't be over until 4:00. El laid there wishing Mike could come over sooner, she missed him, even though she saw him yesterday. El couldn't wait to see him, to kiss him, hug him, to take in his scent. Suddenly, the sound of gravel rattling, tore her attention away from her thoughts of Mike to worry about who on earth was showing up outside her house. El squeezed the teddy bear tightly in fear that it was the bad men from the lab, even though Hopper told her they we're all gone now. A knock echoed throughout the cabin along with a familiar voice calling her name. It was Mike. El eagerly jumped out of her bed, stopping to carefully set the teddy bear down beside her pillow. She rapidly exited her room, nearly tripping on the television cord whilst doing so. When El got to the door, she opened it without hesitation. She was met with the face of Mike, the boy she loved so dearly. El threw her arms around Mike, who immediately returned the affection.
"Mike!" She giggled into his shoulder.
"El." He smiled, as they separated.
"What are you doing here?" El asked. "Its only twelve zero five." El stated, glancing at the clock, perched on the wall. Mike laughed softly at El's way of speaking, he found it cute.
"I'll pick you up at 6!" Nancy shouted out the car window, Mike gave a thumbs up and Nancy drove away. They went inside the cabin and into El's room, they sat on her bed with their backs against the wall. Mike explained that school was cancelled due to the weather.
"It's called a snow day."
"A snow day?" El questioned, looking up into Mike's dark brown eyes innocently.
"Yeah." He replied, looking down at her.
"Well I'm glad you're spending it with me." El said warmly, leaning her head on Mike's shoulder. Mike got butterflies from the words she spoke and the small, but sweet gesture.
"Me too." Mike said, placing a small kiss on the top of her head. They stayed like that for a while, in eachothers embrace for a solid ten minutes, it was peaceful. Both of them we're almost asleep when El thought of something.
"Hey Mike?"
"Yeah El?" Mike said, snapping his eyes open, hoping nothing was wrong.
"If you had all day off, why did you just come over now?" Slightly crabby, knowing she could have been spending all morning with Mike.
"The roads were bad, it would have been dangerous" Mike explained.
"Oh." El said, glad Mike didn't risk his life. They rested for a few more minutes when El spoke up again.
"Mike, we should do something." El said, lifting her head off of Mike's shoulder.
"We could go outside?" Mike suggested.
"O-ok." El stuttered hesitantly. Remembering the
ruthless winter she'd spent outside.
"We don't have to i-"
"No, I want to." El interrupted, knowing she'd be safe with Mike.
"Are you sure?" Mike asked grabbing her hand reassuringly, he didn't want to force El to something she didn't want to do.
"Yes, now let's go!" El exclaimed, sliding off the bed dragging Mike along with her, as they we're still holding hands. They put on winter coats, snow boots, gloves and hats and then went out into the brisk air. Mike couldn't help but smile as El looked at the snow in wonder, all bundled up in her baby blue coat.
"What do we do now Mike?" El asked watching the flakes fall from the sky.
"We could make a snow man."
"A s-snow man?" El said, looking back at Mike.
"Yeah, its exactly what it sounds like, a man made out of snow." Mike explained. A confused expression swept El's face as she wondered how on earth you make a man out of the strange white shavings descending from the sky. "Its actually pretty simple." Mike explained. He kneeled down and snatched up a chunk of snow, rolled it into a ball and rolled it around in the snow. El watched wide eyed, not knowing snow could be so entertaining.
"There!" Mike said, patting the top of the now very large ball of snow.
"Thats it?" El asked, extremely confused, sure it was fun to watch the snow build up, but this ball of snow did not look like a man.
"No." Mike laughed softly "we still need to make two more snowballs and stack them on this one, do you wanna try?" El nodded, kneeled and grabbed some snow.
"You need to make it a bit smaller than this one." El nodded again and rolled it in the snow as Mike did. Eventually, she had a medium sized snowball and she placed it carefully on top of the first ball of snow, smiling in pride, shivering slightly from the cold.
"Are you cold, El? We can go in." Mike said, concerned.
"No, Mike I'm fine, we aren't done with the snowman." Still shivering.
"El, we can continue later, I really don't want you to freeze to death." El nodded and Mike stood up and held his gloved hand out to her, she gladly took it and followed him inside.
"Sorry, I couldn't stay outside longer." El frowned, taking off her gloves.
"Its okay." Mike said, he already had all his snow gear off. "Do you have any hot chocolate?" Mike asked, making his way over to the kitchen and opening a cabinet.
"Yeah." El said as she walked over and opened the cabinet next to him, pulled out a box of hot chocolate and presented it to him proudly.
"Thanks El." Mike said proudly, kissing her on the forehead and taking the hot chocolate from her. They spent the rest of that day drinking hot chocolate, cuddling and watching some of El's favorite soaps. It was one of the best days they ever had.