Comfort

Angst
1985

Mike completely drowned out the man interrogating him as El left the warmth of the blanket next to him. When he saw her standing in the same spot for a few minutes and didn't see Hopper his heart dropped.
"Young man? Please answer me."
"Just hold on." Mike scoffed getting up and walking over to Eleven in the mall parking lot. "El? Are you okay?" Mike asked, his voice softening. El felt herself get weak, as if her entire world was collapsing, her legs gave out and she fell back into Mike's arms.
"El? El? What's wrong?" Mike said panicked, holding her tight, he hated seeing her like this, she didn't deserve it, he wanted to protect her.
"Hopper." El let out a sob, collapsing further into Mike's arms, she was almost on the ground. Mike watched the tears roll down her face and knew what happened.
"What?!" He exclaimed under his breath, in shock.
"Gone." El sobbed again. Mike pulled her up so she was standing and engulfed her in a tight hug.
"El, it's okay, it's gonna be okay." Mike said hugging her tight. El cried into Mike's shoulder. Oh how much Mike wanted to tell El how much he loved her right now. He tried holding back tears, knowing if he cried it wouldn't help anything, but the tears still managed to spill from his eyes. Seeing El crying broke his heart, and even after Hopper had tried to stop him from seeing El, Mike knew it was just because he cared, and as much as it annoyed him, was gonna miss Hopper yelling at them to keep the door open 3 inches. El pulled apart from the hug. Mike quickly wiped his tears, he had to be the strong one here. When he saw he face, he felt tears beginning to sting his eyes again, but refused to let them fall. El looked up at Mike with her glossy eyes, filled with tears. She couldn't speak, she wouldn't know what to say, so instead she let out a sob. Mike cupped her face in his hands and wiped her salty tears with his thumbs.
"El, I lo- we should go back over there." Mike said embarrassed that he had almost....ya know. El nodded, grabbing his hand from her face and holding it by her side. Her hand was cold and shaking slightly, Mike frowned. They got back to the ambulance and sat back down, the man interviewing them and Mike and El sat down. Mike pulled the blanket around them and kept his arm around El, who was still crying. She rested her head on his shoulder and Mike pressed a soft kiss on her forehead, making her feel quite a bit calmer.
"It's gonna be okay El." Mike said comfortingly as he rubbed her shoulder.
"Th-ank you, Mike." El choked out. El cried for about twenty more minutes and through all of it, Mike was there, whispering comforting phrases and giving her soft kisses on her forehead every now and then. Eventually, they moved to the inside of ambulance, instead of sitting on edge of it. They were up against one of the walls, they still had the blanket around them, and El had her head on his shoulder, but instead of Mike having his arm around her, he was holding her hand.
"Are you feeling any better?" Mike asked, softly.
"Yeah." El said, weakly squeezing his hand. Mike was worried, where would she live now, would she live with him? Like he had originally planned, where else would she live with the Byers, with Max? Mike's mind raced he just wanted her to be safe. As if she had read his mind, El spoke up.
"Where am I gonna live now?" El asked, looking up at Mike.
"I'm not sure, but I'm sure Joyce will take you in." Mike said, he wished she could live with him, but he knew his parents wouldn't approve. He wanted to make sure she was okay, he loved her so much and he wished he could tell her, but it didn't seem like the right time.
"Oh." El responded quietly. "Thanks for being here with me Mike."
"You mean a lot to me El, of course I'm here with you."
"You mean a lot to me too."