5. Cold exterior means an unhappy future

Jungkook endured another gym class, reminiscent of the days before. In his previous school, he would have engaged in lively games of basketball or volleyball, perhaps even relishing a round of baseball or a sprint around the track. Physical activity was his solace, a release from the stresses that burdened him.

But instead of joining a game, he stayed in his spot in an unoccupied section on the bleachers. Jungkook watched those who were playing basketball run up and down the half-court then on the other side of the court were those who were tossing, spiking, and hitting a ball over a net.

The ravenette sighed and pulled his knees up to his chest, resting his chin on top of them.

"You look like you want to join," remarked Yoongi, the corners of his lips forming a half-smile.

Arching a brow, Jungkook scooted away slightly, retorting, "What makes you think that?" His gaze returned to the court.

Yoongi's response was nonchalant. "You have that want in your eyes. When someone scores, you crack a smile or get jumpy, as if you were the one throwing the ball."

Jungkook met Yoongi's gaze. "Is it that obvious?"

"You're pretty easy to read, Jeon," chuckled Yoongi.

"Apparently," sighed Jungkook, leaning back against the bleacher, his elbows resting on the seat behind him.

Yoongi's attention shifted back to the game. "So, why are you over here instead of over there?" Jungkook inquired, glancing towards the active court.

"You looked lonely," Yoongi shrugged. "I figured it might be because you don't have any friends." He teased, a smirk playing on his face.

Rolling his eyes, Jungkook looked away, a faint smile threatening to emerge. The two lapsed into a companionable silence, their focus on the ongoing game. After a brief pause, a student called out to Yoongi, waving frantically. "Yoongi!"

Acknowledging the caller with a nod, Yoongi turned to Jungkook. "Hey, we barely know each other, but I've heard rumors, so let me give you some advice."

Curious, Jungkook raised a brow, allowing Yoongi to continue.

"Don't be too cruel towards those who want to be your friend. Your cold exterior will prevent you from being happy here if you allow it," advised Yoongi before standing up and stretching his arms upward.

Jungkook remained silent for a moment, then spoke. "So basically you want to be my friend."

Yoongi chuckled, a genuine smile on his face. "Yeah, something like that. Are you going to do? Oppose it because you don't need friends?" He said with a laugh about the line Jungkook is known for. Jungkook stayed silent."See ya later." The blonde said with a wave before his small body hopped down from the bleachers and made its way back to the court.Jungkook watched as he left and secretly scoffed at what the other told him, leaning his head back and closing his eyes.

Jungkook watched as he left and secretly scoffed at what the other told him, leaning his head back and closing his eyes, a slight smirk on his face appeared before dropping again.

During lunch hour, Taehyung strolled alongside Jimin when an accidental collision disrupted their path. "Sorry," Taehyung quickly apologized, glancing up to see the person he had bumped into. A smile lit up his face. "Oh! Hoseok!"

A red-haired individual, busy adjusting his hair, returned the warm gesture. "Hey, Taehyung~," Hoseok greeted softly, straightening himself out. His attention then shifted to Jimin. "Jimin," he nodded, acknowledging the boy next to Taehyung, who responded with a shy smile. A blush went across Jimin's face. "Hey..." Jimin squeaked out, looking away. 

"I'm sorry for bumping into you," Taehyung added, apologizing once more. Hoseok dismissed the apology with a shrug, "Ah, no need to apologize. It was my fault for not paying attention! You two heading to the rooftop again?" He said with a tilt of a head and his eyes slightly squinted in suspicion playfully.

"Uh, of course not! We're good students, Hoseok!" Taehyung snickered, playfully bantering. Hoseok smiled and reached forward, ruffling his hand through the brunette's hair. "Silly. Don't get caught," he teased. "We won't!" Taehyung assured, wearing a wide smile as he continued on his way to the rooftop, bidding farewell to Hoseok.

A faint blush adorned Hoseok's cheeks as he watched Taehyung walk away. He turned back, cleared his throat, and adjusted his tie. "Taehyung, why do you have to be so cute?" he mumbled under his breath, a smile lingering on his face as he resumed his path.

Taehyung and Jimin both made it up to the rooftop, sitting down in their usual spot by the skylight. "It sucks that Namjoon isn't here today." Jimin pouted. "It's because he wanted to have lunch with his boyfriend~" Taehyung said as he started to unwrap his sandwich.

"Well I'll forgive him as long as he brings us something from Seokjin's cafe." Jimin said with a hmph! at the end of his sentence.Taehyung giggled, fully engaged in Jimin's subsequent rant about something that had likely transpired in class. However, their conversation took an unexpected turn when the rooftop door opened, revealing a tall ravenette. Taehyung's eyes widened, and almost instinctively, he stood up without realizing it.

"Jungkook!" he called out, capturing Jimin's attention.

Jimin raised a brow, observing the unfolding scene. Jungkook sighed, watching Taehyung approach with his hands in his pockets. "What are you doing here?" Taehyung asked with a welcoming smile. "I like it up here even though this is the gossip circle," Jungkook replied quietly, not meeting Taehyung's gaze.

Taehyung remembered what happened the other day and rubbed the back of his head awkwardly. He gave a flustered laugh and then nodded, acknowledging the shared sentiment. The atmosphere shifted as Taehyung hesitated before extending an invitation. 

"Do you... maybe want to join us for lunch?"

Jungkook finally looked at Taehyung, encountering a shy smile. His gaze then shifted to Jimin. He seemed hesitant as well. "I-"

"C'mon. It's better than being by yourself, right?"

Jungkook stared at Taehyung, contemplating the offer. He remembered what Yoongi had told him at lunch. Maybe he should break out of this cold exterior he had put up. Thinking about this dilemma, his facial expression unintentionally took on a scowl though not targeted towards Taehyung.

"Well, if you-"

"Taehyung! If he doesn't want to hang out with us, don't make him!" Jimin interjected, noticing the expression on Jungkook's face. Taehyung glanced at Jimin, annoyance creeping into his tone. "Jimin! Don't assume-"

"It's obvious that he doesn't want to hang out! He's literally giving you such an ugly face!" Jimin continued, cutting Taehyung off.

"Jimin, stop," Taehyung retorted, growing frustrated with his friend's interference. "It's just his face-" Taehyung began to defend Jungkook when the ravenette interrupted him. "He's right. I don't want to hang out with you," Jungkook declared, looking away and gritting his teeth. He found it stupid to have even considered his offer.

"Are you sure?"

"...I'm leaving," Jungkook interrupted once again, wearing an actual scowl as he turned on his heels and exited the rooftop. Taehyung stared at the closed door for a prolonged moment, a mixture of emotions surfacing. To Taehyung, it seemed like Jungkook wanted to join them, so why did he act like that? 

He pouted his lips and let out a disappointed sigh, grappling with the conflicting feelings that lingered in the aftermath of Jungkook's abrupt departure.