6. Fluttering Hearts

"What the fuck was that, Jimin?!" Taehyung yelled as he walked over to his friend, smacking him on the back of his head.

"What?! He's an asshole. I don't want him around us." Jimin yelled back, rubbing the back of his head.

"He is not an asshole. You shouldn't have interfered! Now, look what happened."

"How could you not think he is? Taehyung, he's been nothing but rude to you this entire time!"

Taehyung scoffed, rolling his eyes. "I'm trying to get him to like me, Jimin. I wanted to pass on the message that I want to be his friend and you were being extremely rude to him."

"Well, I don't like him." Jimin looked away.

"You haven't tried to talk to him. Not even once. So it doesn't matter to me whether you like him or not."

Jimin opened his mouth to refute but Taehyung was right.

"I'm not hungry anymore," Taehyung said as he picked up his stuff and threw his food away, leaving Jimin behind on the rooftop.

The rooftop incident during lunch left Taehyung with a lingering frustration towards Jimin, casting a palpable shadow over their usual camaraderie. In the aftermath, he couldn't bring himself to engage in conversation with his best friend, the annoyance too pronounced. When the confrontation finally erupted, Taehyung's steps were heavy as he walked over, delivering a sharp reprimand to Jimin, the echo of his voice resonating across the empty rooftop. The tension between them simmered, leaving an unspoken strain in the air.

Heading to his last class of the day, Taehyung couldn't shake off the lingering frustration. The hallways seemed emptier than usual, echoing with a silence that mirrored the unresolved tension within him. His mind wrestled with a mixture of regret and the anticipation of a conversation that never took place. The weight of the empty seat beside him felt heavier with each passing step, a constant reminder of the unspoken discord that lingered in the air. As he entered the classroom, he couldn't help but glance around, half-expecting to find Jungkook somewhere in the room, but the ravenette was noticeably absent. Taehyung sighed, settling into his seat, and contemplating the best way to bridge the growing gap between them.

It seemed like Jungkook wasn't coming to class.

A few days later, Taehyung, while getting ready for school, was interrupted by a knock at his bedroom door. He responded, his eyes alternating between fixing his hair in the mirror and acknowledging the unexpected visitor. The door opened to reveal an older woman in a heather grey apron, who delivered a courteous bow before addressing him.

"Young master, Madame has requested your presence for breakfast," she conveyed with a warm and polite tone. This unusual request puzzled Taehyung, and he turned to her, tilting his head in confusion. "Mom? Why? She knows that I have to leave for school soon," he inquired, sensing an anomaly in his mother's behavior, especially since such invitations were rare, particularly in the absence of his older brother.

"I do not know the reason, young master," the woman replied, prompting a resigned sigh from Taehyung as he turned his attention back to his reflection. "I can't go. I have to be at school early."