9 - Under My Wing

Rose was definitely different

Rose was definitely different. She wasn't the usual little hyna running around the barrio. I decided I was going to invest some time and money into her ass and eventually she would help me get a return on my investment. 

I paid for our food and we left the restaurant. She followed me as we made our way back out to my impala. She closed the passenger door and looked at me. "Now what? Are you gonna try to fuck me into your little gang or something?" I laughed. "My little gang huh?" I shook my head. "Nah. You not chola material mami." She frowned a little. "Why not?" I reached over and stroked her chin with my fingers. "You too pretty for that." Her eyes opened wide when I touched her. I could tell I had a certain effect on her. That was going to be useful. Getting her to do what I wanted shouldn't be too hard.

"We're going back to my house. I need you to check in with your people and let them know you're gonna be at my house for the next few nights. Is that going to be a problem?"

She shook her head. "No, it won't." I nodded, "Good." I started the car and drove us to my house. The Santos were all out front already. When we got out of the car I grabbed Rose's wrist and pulled her close to me. "You stay close to me, understand? The only person you listen to is me. Got that?" She nodded. "Good, now go grab some clothes and let your mom know you'll be back in a few days. Pack a few dresses, you'll need them." She nodded and I let her go and watched her walk across the street. 

I walked up and sat down on the porch steps. All the homies looked at me. "Is that the new girl from the other night?" Angel asked. I nodded as I pulled out a cigarette and lit it up. Then I took a few puffs and blew the smoke. "You hittin that?" Santi asked. I shook my head. "Nah. She's in training." They all frowned and looked at me confused. "Training?" I nodded. "She knows about the robbery at the casino." I pulled from the cigarette again and blew out the smoke, not making eye contact with any of them. Tony sat up straight and got closer. "She knows?!" I nodded. He got serious. "Homie we can't risk her telling anyone."

I shook my head. "She's not going to." Santi sucked his teeth. "You sure?" I looked at him with a straight face. He threw his hands up. "My bad. Okay, if you trust her then I guess we do too." I took a deep breath. "Look, she could potentially be really useful for us. So until we need her, she's going to be around a lot." Then my tone got serious. "She's completely off limits though. I need her completely focused. Do you all understand me?" They all nodded.

"So does that extend to the sister too?" Angel said smirking. 

I smiled a little. "Just Rose." Angel smiled. "That's all I need to know." I shook my head and laughed. "It's not like you'll get the number anyway." All the guys started laughing. Then everyone got quiet as Rose walked up with a duffel bag. I stood up. "Rose these are my main guys. Santi, Angel, Tony and Benni." She smiled and did a little wave. "Hi." 

"Follow me, I'll show you where you'll be sleeping while you're here." 

She nodded and followed me inside. We walked down the hallway to my room. "This is my room. When you're here, you'll sleep in here and I'll sleep on the couch." She frowned. "Oscar, you don't have to do that. I can sleep on the couch." I shook my head. "You'll sleep in here. Okay?" She nodded and sat her bag down on the floor.

"Is your mom okay with you staying here?"

"She thinks I'm staying with a friend. She didn't ask too many questions, just asked that I call everyday to check in with her." 

I nodded. "Well get comfortable. I'll come check on you in a little bit." 

I walked back outside with the guys and posted back up on the steps. Benni sat next to me. "You sure you know what you're doing homie?" I nodded.

"Okay. I trust you. Just keep it about the money. Don't fuck around and catch feelings homie."

I shook my head. "It's not like that at all, so I won't. I'm not worried so you shouldn't be either." I lit up a blunt and took a few pulls before passing it to him. I know the guys are going to be skeptical about her but I know that this will pay off.

They just needed to trust me and trust the process.

______________________________________________