DECEMBER 21

-Good morning- said Noah when he saw Nathalie enter the kitchen.

-Good morning, what are you doing? - she asked approaching him.

-An omelet I learned long ago in the Waldorf-Astoria.

-Wooooow - smiled Nathalie.

Noah smiled too.

-Woaaa! it smells delicious Noah - said Adrien, as the two Agrestes entered the kitchen.

-Thank you- he smiled.

Breakfast was peaceful in general until Adrien spoke.

-I'm sorry, my friends texted me and they want to do a video chat, could I go to my room and chat with them for a while?

Gabriel looked at him, then he looked at Nathalie that only blinked at him in approval.

-Yes, just don't be loud.

-I won't, promise. Thank you - he said standing up, taking his dishes to the sink and running upstairs.

All three adults were sitting, sipping their coffees.

-Does he have a lot of friends?

-Yes - answered Nathalie

Noah frowned.

-And where did he meet these friends?

-At school - answered Gabriel.

-School? He goes to school now?

-Yes - answered Nathalie.

-Gabriel, you know very well that Emilie wanted a homeschooled education.

-Yes... but... he asked for it and... we...

-Oh, Nathalie convinced you? - interrupted Noah.

Silence.

-It is his right to decide where he wants to study - said Nathalie -Plus, I didn't... convince him.

-But it was clear since he was born. Emilie is gone and all of a sudden everyone riots.

-Don't talk to me about Emilie - said Gabriel.

-NOAH! - yelled Nathalie.

-It is true, she wanted the best for her child, only the best. What's next, him getting a tattoo and doing drugs?

-OF COURSE NOT! - yelled Nathalie.

-IT IS NOT YOUR CALL TO DECIDE HOW I WILL EDUCATE MY SON. YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN MY WIFE'S BEST FRIEND. BUT YOU WON'T TELL ME HOW TO RAISE HIM... UNDERSTOOD? - yelled Gabriel.

-She is making you soft, Gabriel- answered Noah pointing at Nathalie.

-Leave Nathalie out of this, this is between you and me.

-Adrien must be raised in rectitude and perfection. That is what Emilie would have wanted.

-Brother...

-You are weak, Nathalie. You have always been. I expected more of you, Gabriel.

Nathalie's eyes started to fill up with tears, while Gabriel yelled something back at Noah.

"Just be yourself... Adrien adores you, Gabriel adores you..." Nathalie remembered Jonah's words.

-STOP! - yelled Nathalie, muting both men. -Just, stop. Noah listen, I called you in to spend Christmas and New Year's eve with us, to be a family. To have fun and enjoy. Not to judge me or my family.

-Your family? No sweetie, this is Emilie's fam...

-SHUT UP! - yelled Nathalie.

-I will NEVER be Emilie, but I am Nathalie Sancoeur and everyone in this house is my family. I chose them to be my family, I love them and I would do ANYTHING for them. So I would really appreciate if you kept your venom to yourself. I wanted everything to be fun and happy. But if you continue like this... leave... Please.

Silence.

-Why do you hate me, Noah? - asked Nathalie in a small voice.

-I don't - said Noah - I love you, Nathalie. But... Emilie she, was... my best friend. And what you did was unacceptable. I was very disappointed of you.

-What I did? What did I do?

-Emilie told me about you and Gabriel.

-WHAT? - yelled Gabriel

-I know about your affair. Emilie told me.

-That is not true - said Nathalie.

-Emilie would have never said such thing - said Gabriel.

-SHE DID- yelled Noah. - HOW COULD YOU? YOU WHORE!

-DON'T YOU DARE TALKING TO HER LIKE THAT- snapped Gabriel.

-Protecting your lover?

-We have NEVER. EVER!!! YOU CAN'T CALL YOUR SISTER... THAT. I know Emilie, and I know she probably said that in one of her jealousy attacks. But I would NEVER be unfaithful. EVER - Gabriel was raging.

Noah saw honesty in his eyes.

-So you never...?

-NO! - said Nathalie.

-I... I don't know - said Noah staring at the window.

Gabriel sat down in his chair again.

-I.... I mean yes, Emilie was impulsive and... I was so disappointed... My sister - he muttered.

-I would never do such a thing- answered Nathalie.

Noah's face was bright red.

-I need to process all of this, excuse me - he said standing up and walking away.

-Are you okay? - asked Gabriel to Nathalie.

-Please hold me - she said closing her eyes

Gabriel immediately pulled her towards him.

-Why would Emilie say such a thing? - she said hugging Gabriel.

-You knew her, she was impulsive and ireful.

Nathalie nodded.

-But I never...

-Shhhh, it's nothing - he said

-He hates me.

-He doesn't - said Gabriel kissing her hair. - We will all talk later when things cool off, and we'll solve it. Okay?

-Okay - said Nathalie.