DECEMBER 25

"THAT IS UNACCEPTABLE FOR AN AGRESTE"

Around 2 am Gabriel woke up sighing and sweating. The voice of his father pounding hard in his head. Emotions were tangled in his throat, his eyes overflowing with tears. The darkness around him asphyxiated him, and then, a soft hand softly caressed his chest.

-Gabriel? - asked Nathalie's sweet voice.

Thank God thought Gabriel throwing himself into her arms.

He felt so lonely, so scared, so small, so unprotected and there she was, next to him, just when he needed her most. His arms strongly holding her, his wild tears running down.

-Shhh, it was a nightmare. I am here - she sweetly whispered stroking and kissing his hair. -You're here in my arms.

-Thank you, thank you - he kept repeating.

-It's nothing. I am here, I am always here - she said before starting humming a song for him.

As if her voice was magical, he calmed down. Or maybe it was the combination of her voice, her smell, and her warmth of her body next to him in bed. But if there was one thing Gabriel was certain about, is that he would never let go of her. Little by little, Gabriel's eyelids started to flutter, becoming impossible for him to keep them open.

In the morning Gabriel's eyes opened up again only to find Nathalie's ocean-blue eyes staring at him.

-Hi - she said.

-Hi - he answered yawning.

She leaned in to kiss his lips, to which he kissed her back. She left her hand on his cheek.

-You had a nightmare.

-Yes.

-Was it Emilie? - she asked.

The way she asked about Emilie, with such naturality, really touched Gabriel. Even after everything that was going on in between them, Nathalie knew how much Emilie meant for him; that she would always matter, and she was fine with that, she respected it, she was a very important part of Gabriel's life.

-No - he sighed - My father.

Gabriel barely mentioned his parents.

Nathalie remained silent and observant.

-He... didn't agree much when I told him I wanted to become a fashion designer - he said - I don't know why that came into my mind just now.

-Maybe because of what Adrien asked about being a chef?

-Perhaps.

-It was just a dream - she smiled - that's in the past.

As always, she was right.

-Now, come on, let's hurry downstairs - she grinned.

-Why?

-I want to be there to see Adrien's face.

Right, Santa Claus's gifts. They both jumped out of bed and hurried downstairs.

Adrien was not up yet, so they made coffee, sat in the living room and cuddled for another while.

-Gabriel?

-Yes? - he asked sipping his coffee.

-Umm... are we... going to tell Adrien?

-What about? - he asked somehow confused.

-Well... us?

Gabriel froze and thought about it for a moment.

-I mean, I don't even know what we are, or what is going on, so... - she continued -I wanted to ask.

Gabriel set both cups of coffee in the table before taking Nathalie's face in his hands and pulling her towards him.

-I guess we need to discover that first, and then we can tell him, don't you agree? - he said before pressing his lips on hers.

-Sounds perfect - she smiled and passionately kissed him back. Gabriel laid Nathalie back on the sofa, their tongues began intertwining when they heard Adrien's door opening and his footsteps coming towards the stair.

They both hurried to sit down as casually as possible, trying to erase all traces of their make-out session and their obviously ignited passion.

Adrien yawned while coming down the stairs, Nathalie was sipping her coffee, Gabriel pretending to be just talking with her.

-Good morning, Adrien - he said.

-Oh, good morning guys, what are you both doing here so early? - he asked.

-Oh nothing, we heard some noises coming from the chimney that's all - smiled Nathalie.

-Noises on the chimney? What noi... - started Adrien before stopping suddenly and turning his head to look at the tree. His eyes opened up and sparkled at the moment he set his eyes on a particular bike standing next to it.

-NO WAAAAAAY!!! - he yelled -IS THIS FOR ME?

-Wow, Santa Claus did an awesome job - said Nathalie.

-Merry Christmas, son - said Gabriel, overwhelmed by his son's excitement.

Adrien was on the verge of crying, but he sat on the ground and started opening the rest of the presents that had his name on it. A Nintendo Switch, a new tablet, new fencing equipment in between other gifts.

-This is awesome, this is all awesome - said the boy truly excited. -It looks like Santa left a present for you dad, this one has your name on it.

-For me? - he said standing up and walking towards the tree.

When he opened it he saw a beautiful Winsor & Newton sketchbook lined in black leather, with his signature scripted in golden letters. He was dumbfounded.

-Merry Christmas - sang Nathalie smiling.

He smiled tenderly back at her.

-Well, Miss Sancoeur, Santa left something for you too - he said standing up and taking her a small box.

-Hope you like it - said Adrien.

Gabriel sat next to her and watched while she opened the small Tiffany & Co. box. A small heart necklace was inside, it was made of pink gold.

-Turn it around - whispered Gabriel.

She did. Founding Gabriel and Adrien's names inscribed in it.

-So you can always keep us in your heart - smiled Adrien.

-Guys... - she muttered -... you are always in my heart. - Tears started running down her cheeks.

Gabriel wiped her tears and kissed her cheek.

-Merry Christmas, my dear Nathalie - he said smiling at her.

Adrien smirked at the, every day more evident, demonstrations of affection of his father towards her.