"Maria? It's me, Zoe, your best friend," Zoe helplessly tried to explain.

"No, no, I don't have a best friend!"

"Maria, it's me!"

Maria repeatedly shook her head, scared at the unknown girl in front of her.

"We sleep over at each other's houses, and I helped you stand up for yourself! I helped you stand up to Charlotte! You stole my clothes and I stole yours! I go to your choir concerts, and you go to my band concerts!" Zoe reaches out to her friend, grabbing her arm to help her look into her eyes.

"No! Let go of me!"

"Maria!"

Maria ran away sobbing in fear of the strange, crazy girl. Zoe ran a hand through her hair.

"Where's Walter? Surely he hasn't forgotten me," Zoe turned to Lucille, panting.

"He's over there," Lucille pointed to a wall next to the front office that was covered in photos of a boy, and notes, and letters. In large cursive words said: We shall not forget you, Walter Carn.

"Wait, what?" Zoe rushed over to it and read all the letters. They were all farewell letters. "Lucille, what happened?"

"You never existed, so who was he supposed to call December 14th, last year?"

It all came flooding back to Zoe. December 14th, at 9 PM Zoe received a call from one of her friends, Walter.

"Because I never existed," Zoe's voice shook, with tears pricking her eyes, "Walter killed himself."