23 ~ we're getting out of here

Seeing Chase laying on the ground, blood leaking from his shoulder at a fatally fast pace, filled you with an unfamiliar feeling.

Satisfaction.

After months of him torturing you during your relationship, and now for who-knows-how-long, in this dark room, you finally had revenge. You finally had justice.

While still holding your body up against the wall and your heart racing, you manage to pick up the knife off the floor, just in case you needed it again. You notice your hands shaking uncontrollably as you try to inch yourself along the floor, one hand not being able to help due to the knife.

Suddenly, you hear footsteps. Urgent footsteps. You scramble to stand up and get into a hiding spot, but once again, your body betrays you and you fall straight back to the floor. The footsteps stop and an unexpected shadow falls over the room. You hesitantly look up and are both surprised and relieved when you see a worried-looking Bucky standing over you.

He almost drops to the floor himself when he sees the state of you, covered in scars and cuts as well as being skinnier and paler than he's ever seen you. Then, his face turns angry. You could see that he wanted revenge on whoever did this to you.

His eyes follow your wounds down your arm until he sees the knife still clutched tightly in your hand. He widens his eyes as he kneels down next to you, taking the knife from your hand.

"Where did you get this?" He asks you sternly. Too weak for words, you faintly point to the table of knives used to torture you. You wondered why he was so fascinated with the knife but you were too exhausted to worry about that right now. He looks up and you see his face turn pale as he sees Chase laying on the ground, not moving, blood surrounding his whole upper body now. He looks back down to you and sees how exhausted you are. He knew you hadn't slept, eaten or even seen the light of day for a while.

"B-Bucky?" You stutter out and he gives you his full, undivided attention.

"Yes, doll?" He replies, trying to comfort you with the nickname.

"Did I...kill Chase?" You ask, your voice cracking. You didn't really want to know the answer, but you had to.

"I-I don't know." He sighs and stands up, stepping over you. You shuffle your body around so you can see what he's doing. Slowly and cautiously, he leans down to Chase's body and places two fingers on his neck, checking his pulse.

It seems like a lifetime waiting for him to speak up, but eventually, he does.

"He's alive. Slow pulse, but...he's alive. He's lost a lot of blood, I-I don't know if he'll make it, but we sure as hell aren't going to be here to find out." He tells you in a matter-of-fact tone. You sigh and try and collect your thoughts.

Did you want Chase to be dead? I mean, after everything he did to you, no one would blame you if you did.

"(Y/N), we need to go. Now." Bucky rushes back over to you and slides one of his arms under your legs, and the other around your back for support. He slowly lifts you and cringes when you wince and cry out in pain, a stray tear leaving your eye. It wasn't his fault you were in so much pain, it just felt like every time you moved it would hurt.

As Bucky carefully, but quickly carried you out of what you now recognised as some kind of old building, you saw multiple unconscious bodies laying on the floor. You squeezed your eyes shut and buried your head in Bucky's chest, trying to reassure yourself that he did what he had to, to get you out.

Once you're finally out of the building, the sun blinds you instantly and you cringe, hiding your face from it. You didn't even know how long it had been since you'd been outside, but it felt like days, if not weeks. Your stomach had been growling at you for days, begging for food, and your eyes were getting wearier and wearier every minute. Eventually, you couldn't fight the urge anymore, and you let yourself slip into sleep, listening to the sound of Bucky's heart racing.