Chapter 24

I spent a few days making trips to the market. I've been growing hungrier and hungrier each day that passes and the season is finally switching into Winter. The cold nights and cold days become more intense the more days pass. I buy clothes for the three of us and lots of food.

This morning, I was at the market again. Browsing for some new gloves. I had gotten gloves yesterday, but I lost them and now I can't find them. I scanned over all the gloves and scarves on a stand. I held a finger to my chin as I hummed a little song, trying to decide which one to pick.

"I would like that blue scarf," I told the lady as I pointed the scarf. It was a teal colored scarf, with a pattern of different kinds of fish overflowing the scarf. "Hmm, also those and those gloves," I said to her as I pointed to two gloves. One was plain black and the other was a dark yellow. I had to get some for Cyan, Daegu already had some. The lady put my items in a bag and I paid her as I took the bag from her hand.

I took out the yellow gloves and slipped them on my hands and I began walking around some more. I tripped and I immediately stomped my foot to help prevent myself from falling. I turn to see a nail sticking out of the ground and then I looked at my shoe and there was a hole in it. I sighed out loud, "How annoying..." I muttered as I looked back up and I walked to the shoe stand.

My eyes landed on a pretty pair of black leather boots. "How much are they?" I asked the man and he told me the price. That's like, the rest of my money I have in my pocket right now. I glanced at the pair and I sighed. I began to turn when a voice said, "I'll take that pair for the young lady." I turn to see my grandmother standing there and my eyes lit up. I hugged her tightly and she chuckled as she hugged me back.

"You didn't have to get me those boots," I told her and she shook her head.

"Oh, but I do. Think of it as a gift," she said and I nodded as I took the bag from the man. "Thank you very much," I said and she nodded as she gave the man money. "You're welcome. How about we grab some tea?" She asked and I nodded.

We went to a small tea stand and got two cups and went to the park. We both sat down on a bench as we looked out over the yards of green grass. "How's everything for you?" I asked her as I took a sip of my tea. "Everything is great. How about with you? Still determined to get the throne back?" I nodded as I took another sip. "Of course I'm still determined. I want to be able to sit at the seat where Father sat at." She looked at me with sadness in her eyes.

"Your father was the one who was the son of the royal family. Your mother was just a poor woman who worked at a coffee shop. Your father was the one who fell in love with your mother and it was only a matter of time that she fell in love too." She took a sip of her tea and I sat there staring at a flower. "It was hard for her," she continued and I looked up at her. "How was it hard?" I asked.

"Normally the rich marry the rich. It's just what everyone thinks. That we all belong somewhere. Like, the poor belong with the poor and the middle class belongs with the middle. Your father was the one who was first attracted to your mother. Once they were married, people said mean things to your mother. His family had a hard time accepting your mother because she had a very poor background. They thought she was just marrying him for the money and the royality, but after she had years of proving her love for him, they accepted her."

I nodded slowly as I finished my tea and I felt tears forming in my eyes. "How was my father like?" I asked. "He was a smart, strong young man. He always worked his hardest to get what he wanted and he was very serious. He made a very good King of Urina."

"How was my mother like?" I asked quietly and I heard her suck in a deep breath.

"She was a sweet, quiet woman. She loved to read and work and helping others. She was positive and happy. Just a happy woman..." I felt her smile as I hesitantly looked up at her. My grandmother was looking out into the distance. There were a few tears that trickled down her cheeks and she quickly wiped them away with the back of her hand.

"Anyways, I can't be seen with you. I have to go, take care, my dear." She bent over and gave me a kiss on the top of my head. "You've grown into a fine young lady. Just like your mother..." She gave me a sad smile and she began walking away. I sat there, watching her leave and I felt tears trickle down my cheeks. "Just like my mother?" I asked quietly, even though I knew she wouldn't hear me.

*  *  *

Dinnertime was a fuss, it was a time that everyone decided to show up. "Look what we got!" Malin chirped as he held up two bottles of red wine. I nodded as I served everyone at the table. We ate silently until Yane broke the silence. "Did you guys know Cyan and Nissa are gonna have a baby?" And everyone turned to look at us. I felt the heat rising to my cheeks and I turned to look down at my food.

"It's true?" Malin asked.

"Yeah..." I said.

"Congratulations!" Hiro said cheerfully. I looked up at him and smiled. "Thank you very much," I said back to him and he threw me a smile as well.

Cyan looked at me and I looked back at him. I shrugged my shoulders and turned back to everyone else.

"I heard that you were able to find a family member," Yane said to me as he took another bite of his food. "Yeah, who told you?" I asked and he pointed at Cyan with his fork. I quickly glanced at Cyan and then back to Yane. "Which family member did you find?" Yane asked and I took a sip of my wine. "My grandmother. My mother's side," I said and Yane nodded.

"What was she like?" Malin asked and I put down my fork and looked at him.

"She was wonderful," I let out a sigh and smiled. "She was definitely my grandmother. She was nice to me and already loved me in a heartbeat. She also wished me luck on getting the throne back," I said and Malin nodded.

"That's good, but how did she know who you were?" Riko asked me and I smiled. "She said I look like my mother," I said. "Oh," Riko finished the last bite of his food and gulped down the rest of his glass of wine.

"The assassination is in two days," Yane reminded us and I almost choked on the food that I swallowed. That soon? Time sure does fly by fast. I know I'm nervous, but I know I'm ready.