16. Angels and Immortality

After resolving the issue, Jace and Alec went in search of others and found them in the library, reading the history of parabatai.

"So, how does this procedure work exactly?" Jace spoke.

Izzy and Clary exchanged a look, then looked at Alec and smiled widely. "Finally, Jace! Glad to know you got back into senses." Izzy commented.

"I had my own worries, okay? Don't look at me like that!" He eyed both women.

"Okay, enough!" Alec said. "I'll call Cat and let her know!"

They all nodded and Alec left the room to call Catarina. After 15 minutes Catarina came with the book held in her hands with the help of her magic and met them in the library, she kept the book on the circular table placed in the library and looked at Alec worriedly.

"Alec, can I talk to you privately?" She asked, her tone visibly worried.

"Yeah, sure." He frowned but followed her outside.

They were standing in the hallway outside the library when Catarina voiced her concern.

"Alec, did you talk to Magnus today?"

"Yeah, in the evening. He seemed fine. Why, what's wrong?"

"Alec, I got a call from Miss Rose, she's Madzie's teacher here at NY, they've organised a world tour for all the warlock children, she was in Alicante to take Madzie. She left with her around half an hour ago. Alec, Magnus-"

"He's alone..." He said with concern dipped in his voice, instantly getting worried for his husband.

"Alec, are you okay?"

"I'm fine. I'm calling Magnus to check up on him, you go inside and explain Clary her part." He said. Catarina nodded and left.

Alec sighed, rubbed the bridge of his nose, then took out his phone from his pants pocket and dialled Magnus's number.

__________________

Magnus kept refilling his glass of Dry Martini, trying to wash away the emptiness and disappointment residing inside him. He was standing by the bar counter, eyeing the dance floor and ordering a new refill when his phone buzzed, he saw the caller ID and gulped. He quickly took the glass from the counter then put a sound barrier spell around himself blocking all the noise of the bar around him then received the call.

"Alexander, thought you wouldn't call. How was your day?" He said trying to sound cheerful.

"Hey, love. It was fine. What are you doing?"

"Oh, n.. nothing, just tucked Madzie into the bed, she's really stubborn and mischievous, didn't want to go to sleep. She finally slept just now. It was such a tiring day running around her. She's a sweetheart though. I'm looking forward to tomorrow, I'm thinking of teaching her some new tricks." He gulped, hating lying to him but he didn't want him to worry.

Alec clenched his fist tightly, anger seeping through his body after hearing a clear white lie from his husband. He took a deep breath to calm his nerves, not wanting to yell at him, remembering the state he could be in. "Magnus! Seriously!" He said coldly instead.

"Alexander, what? What happened?"

"Really Magnus!?"

Magnus was about to say something when realisation dawned on him. 'Shit! How can I be such an idiot! Catarina is with him in New York, she must have told him, and I lied to him right now. Damn you, Magnus!' he cursed himself.

"A... Alexander, I.. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to lie to you, I just didn't want you to get worried, that's all. I'm really sorry."

Alec sighed heavily. "Magnus, if you keep lying to me like this, how can you expect me to not get worried?"