Chapter 6

"Hey! The nurse said we can take you home today!" Brad beams with glee as he enters my room, pulling my attention away from John's eyes which had been lost in mine for quite some time.

"Really? That's great!" I laugh.

Brad comes and sits next to me, opposite John. We all smile at each other, not saying anything.

"She really is marvellous, isn't she?" John asks.

"That she is." Brad smiles, gazing at his step-daughter.

Another silence.

"Ermm...we need to talk." I state, noticing the sudden tension in the room.

"Yeah. You could uh...come back to our place for a bit and we can sort things out, if you like." Brad offers, almost shyly remembering who he's addressing.

"Mm. When do you have to be back?" I ask, turning my head to John.

He clears his throat nervously, and shifts in his chair.

"Tommorow night." He lowers his voice significantly, so that neither Brad nor myself can hear.

"Sorry?"

"Tommorow night." John states, causing us to hold our breath and stare at him in disbelief.

"Bu-but you just got here yesterday! Your daughter is only two days old!"

"I know, I know, and I'm sorry." John nods, looking guilty as anything. He closes his eyes as if he's embarrassed and wishes the ground could swallow him up.

"But it's like I said, I have Cynthia, and the Beatles and everything...I just can't."

With my mouth hung open, I'm lost for words at his return to ignorance of his daughter. I'm dumbfounded, why come all the way out here to see the daughter you'll never have time for? Why get our hopes up?

I hear Brad scoff and pull a disgusted face at John, who's now stroking Molly's hand.

"I think I should take her now." I state through bared teeth.

Reluctantly, John hands her over, shushing her in case she wakes.

Not knowing what else to do, he places his hands in his lap, and picks at his fingers.

"Get out." I demand, staring at the ceiling to hold back the tears.

"But what about the money and stuff?" John asks, surprised at my sudden request.

"I said get out. If you're not going to be here for her, then I don't want you here when she wakes up."

He lingers for a while, not wanting to leave his daughter, but knowing he has to. John looks me in the eyes, and stands. Shuffling over to the door, he turns and looks at Molly Julia Swann once more, not knowing when and if he'll see that little girl again.