Chapter 20

"Cyn will be down in a mo. She just putting her face on." John chuckles, sitting on the arm of the chair.

Brad and I huddle on the sofa, feeling very out of place in this huge house. I also have the added nerves of meeting John's fiancée for the first time. The girl he cheated on with me. How would she ever look me in the eye?

We sit awkwardly for a few minutes, John holding Molly still. Eventually, we hear footsteps on the wooden flooring of the hallway. We all perk up, expectant of who will walk through the door. And in she steps.

Cynthia stands in the doorway,eyes glued to Molly in her fiancée's arms. I can't quite see her facial expression yet until she turns around the face us.

She smiles at me, then Brad and steps closer to us.

"You must be YN." She says in a quiet whisper. We both can feel the nerves seeping off each other, and I pray to God there's not an underlying hostility between us.

Cynthia holds out her dainty little hand for me to shake and I do so, her psoh tinted English accent nearly making me curtsey subconsciously.

Dragging her eyes away from mine, she smiles to Brad, who shakes her hand too.

After looking over us again, she steps back, lowering herself gracefully into the armchair where John in resting.

"And this must be Molly." Cyn breathes, looking at the sleeping baby in John's arms.

"This is her. Isn't she wonderful, Cyn?" John coos, stroking his daughters head.

"Well she certainly got her parent's good looks." She giggles shyly. I blush at the compliment, not knowing if it's a little dig at me, but taking it anyway.

"How was your trip over here then?" John asks, looking up at us.

"Very good thank you. No trouble at all." Brad informs them.

I notice Cynthia's leg bouncing up and down, as if anxious, and I find my leg doing the same. We keep making eye contact, before looking down at our feet.

Clearing his throat and trying to think of something to say, John shifts on the arm of the chair.

"So! Not long now then eh?" He nudges Cynthia's shoulder and she giggles, placing her hand on his thigh, rubbing it slowly.

"No, love. Before you know, I'LL be YOUR wife." She says through slightly gritted teeth.

I feels sense of jealousy and fury course through my veins, but take a deep breath, and channel them away.

"How long have you known each other?"

"Oh, let's see now-"

"57. We met in 57." Cynthia confirms, continuing to rub his thigh. I couldn't take my eyes away from it. Their contact was a mere reminder of what I couldn't have.

"Oh, nice." I beam, trying to seem happy.

Another silence begins, with Cynthia's eyes locked onto me.

"Cyn's made us omelettes for dinner." John informs us, rocking Molly side to side when she begins to squirm.

"That's great, thank you Cynthia." Brad smiles.

"You're welcome." Cynthia smiles back.

John stands from the chair arm when our daughter begins to wail, and his rocking doesn't soothe her.

I go to stand and take her, when Cynthia stands also.

"May I take her?" Cynthia looks to me for permission.