Chapter 33

It's been three days. Three days being locked in the flat, and judging by the tiny glimpse of outside I got this morning, there are just as many reporters as there were when we arrived. I don't know what they think is going on in here, but they don't seem too concerned.

The curtains have been drawn, windows and doors bolted to stop Molly and I escaping.

I haven't slept, nor have I eaten much. Brad's been polishing off the alcohol like it's water in a drought and I've been reaping the consequences- arms and legs bruised, cuts and gashes across my face.

"If you want to get out, you'll have to tell them everything about Molly, and you, and John." Brad's words swim round in my mind constantly, making me feel faint and sick.

The fear I feel in my bones is crippling, and each day I slip further and further away from myself. I'm going insane.

I've plotted, planned and attempted to ring John (or anyone), only for my plans to be destroyed and another bruise (or four) to be marked onto my skin by the beast holding us here.

Through the day, I try to keep Molly upstairs, away from Brad's wrath. I'll protect her until my dying breath, and I fear that that breath is heading closer and closer.

"She's crying again." Brad states, breaking me out of my thoughts.

"I know."

"Well?" Brad raises his eyebrows, nodding to the ceiling.

"Go and stop her."

I glare at him, and pull myself out of the armchair with the little strength I have left. Hobbling up the steps, I lean on the wall and pull myself along to her room, where she's stood against the bars of her cot bawling her eyes out.

"Hey...baby..." I muster the best smile I can, though my entire face burns.

Shuffling over to her, I take a deep breath and lift her out her cot, slumping onto the floor so I can sit her on my lap.

"Moll...I'm going to get you out. You'll be safe, okay?"

Seeing her lip quiver and brown eyes wet with tears makes me sob, though I try to stop before I get too hysterical.

"Whatever happens, however this works out... you'll be okay. I don't think I can say the same for me."

I stiffle another sob as I cast a glance down at my arms, which were black, blue and red.

"I bet you don't even recognise me." I cry, stroking her cheek gently. My face doesn't look like a face anymore, it looks like a shell. A shell that's been smacked and punched to kingdom come. I don't even recognise myself when I look in the mirror.

Sobbing at full volume now, I break down, while my terrified daughter watches on.

Through my hooded eyes, I see Molly looking at me with wide eyes. She starts to nod, arms reaching out to touch my face.

"Momma!" She nods excitedly, smiling.

I gasp breathlessly, relief washing over me.

"Yeah! I'm your Momma!" I laugh breathlessly. "I'll always be your Momma. Momma loves you with every fibre of her being, and when you're older...please don't forget me." I smile, tears rolling down my cheeks and into my mouth as I try to breathe.

"You're the best thing that ever happened to me baby girl. I'm sorry that I might not have been the best mom, but I want you to know I love you with all my heart Molly Julia Swann, and I'll not let that bastard lay one hand on you."

Molly watches and listens curiously, fingers playing absentmindedly with the buttons of my blouse.

"You're going to do great things, Moll. And I'm sorry if...at the end of this I'm not there to see them. But I'll be with you, okay? I'm going to get you out, and I'll still be with you. Okay?"

I nod, encouraging her to smile and nod. Placing my fingers under her arms, I start to tickle her, sending her into fits of laughter- the most joyous thing I've ever seen, and, if this is the last memory I have of her, I'm content with that.

"Now, I'm going to put you back in your bed, okay? You snuggle up to Rabbit and Fudgebear, and when you wake up, hopefully you'll be out of here, somewhere where there's rainbows and rabbits galore!" I smile, trying to hold back my tears as I lift her up and place her back in her cot.

"There's someone coming for you, I know there is. You're going to be alright." I whisper, watching as her eyes droop shut.

Closing my eyes for a second, I pray that I'm right.
..................

Sitting in the armchair, my eyelids start to feel heavy, but I keep shaking my fatigue away, determined to stay alert.

After a while, I feel the haze of sleep begin to cloud my body and my head starts to drop as my eyes close.

I don't know whether I really did fall asleep, and if I did I don't know how long for, but all I know is I awoke when the blare of the phone rippled through the house.

Eyes wide, I look over to Brad's body laying on the sofa. I have no idea if he's passed out or not but I'm willing to take the risk. I need to get my daughter out.

I make a quick dash to the door, but just as I reach it, I'm tackled to the floor by Brad, who has my wrists bound in his hands and my feet tangled with his so I can barely move.

Screaming, I fight back against Brad's body, though he is much stronger.

Attempting to shut me up, Brad clamps a hand over my mouth, to no avail. It makes me scream louder.

I kick at the floor, trying to free my arms.

"ARGH!" Brad roars, unable to control me. With one swift motion, he throws his head forward into mine, making my body go limp and everything around me to fade to black.