Chapter 17

"GIRLFRIEND?! YOU HAVE A FUCKING GIRLFRIEND?" I yelled.

"Well, maybe! It's complicated!"

"This!" I scream, pointing at both of us, "this is complicated!"

"It doesn't have to be! I don't see why Cyn would change anything, this was just a fling!"

"Then why did you say you'd fallen for me? Why did you trick me? All the lies John...I loved you!"

He's stumped for words, and I throw my hands to my head in frustration.

"You said...you said you'd fallen for me."

"I had, I have! I can't help the way I feel and that we're moving on tomorrow. It's my job." John pleads, taking my hands.

I throw them off.

"No. You never loved me and you never will!"

I throw myself onto the sofa, face buried into the cushions. I begin to sob loudly.

"I'm so sorry...I thought you would have known."

"Yes, I should have known. I should have checked. You and your mananger kept that secret, didn't you? But yet you didn't think to tell me."

"I'm so so sorry." John says, sitting next to me on the sofa.

"Get out." I state nonchalantly.

"What?"

"I said get out. I can't be with anyone who isn't faithful. I should never have let you take me home."

"Now come on, there's loads of girls."

"Exactly! Go and run to your other whores! GET OUT!"

John lingers for a moment, before huffing and walking out, slamming the door.

Shaking with fury, I pick up the nearest object (which happens to be a coffee mug) and throw it against the wall, shattering it into a thousand pieces.

I scream at the top of my lungs and throw myself onto the sofa, face down, willing everything to stop.

........

~Back to the Present Day~

I wake up, and look straight to the clock: 16:47. About fifteen minutes before Brad gets home.

Recovering myself from my "dream", I get up, and rub my temples. As I rise from the bed, I groan. My muscles feel all stiff. Making my way downstairs to start cooking dinner, my eyes fall upon the record again.

My eyes linger on it, thinking about the song John sang to Molly in the hospital. I make a mental note to listen to it when I get a minute later.

Dragging myself away, I head to the kitchen to start chopping the vegetables. I'm in the middle of chopping when Brad walks in, with a sleeping Molly in her travel cot.

"Hey! I picked her up on my way home. I'll take her upstairs." He whispers, nodding to the sleeping child.

"Thanks." I smile, pecking him on the lips.

I go back to preparing the Spaghetti Bolognese for dinner, and soon Brad joins me, wrapping his arms round my waist from behind.

"How was your day?" He asks, tenderly kissing my neck.

I hesitate a moment before answering.

"It was fine."

"Are you sure? You feel tense." Brad begins to massage my shoulders, trying to help me relax.

"Yeah...I just...did a lot of thinking I suppose."

"About what?"

I don't say anything for a while, alarming my boyfriend. I just don't want to relive that rough period of my life every time I fall asleep.

"You're not breaking up with me are you?" He asks, concern showing all over his face.

"What? Of course not!" I laugh. "Just about Molly, I guess..."

Brad nods understandingly and moves way, informing me he's going to take a shower. Feeling ready for a sit down, I go into the living room.

An idea strikes me on the way through, so I dig the record out of the packaging and place the needle on Norwegian Wood (supposedly "our song.")

I sit on the floor, legs crossed listening to the words; unpicking them.

The first verse, although they could be written about any of his many girls, I feel a connection to them. They were written for me.

'She asked me to stay and told me to sit anywhere, so I looked around and noticed there wasn't a chair.' his voice sings.

The first explicit reference to our time together is enough to bring a tear to my eye. Blinking them away and shaking my head, I carry on letting his voice fill the room.

The next verse reminds me yet again of that time, when I felt on top of the world. I felt invincible. I felt like me.

Just as I think the memories have subsided, the next verse sends me into utter flashback mode.

"I told her I didn't and crawled off to sleep in the bath."

The interview. His flat. The dancing. The kissing. The sex.

The end of it all.

It all speeds through my mind, and I fumble with the needle of the record player, wanting to stop the music for now. The memories are too raw in my mind.

I try to stand, tears running down my face and breathing irregular. I can't see, and I'm stumbling around. Just as I'm about to fall to the floor, a pair of arms grasp me under the arms.

Then I feel nothing.
.........
Such a bad ending but ✌