Chapter 22: Trust Issues

A/N: Hey guys! I do appreciate everyone being so patient with me. I apologize for the wait, school and life have just kept me from this story, but I'm back. I really hope you guys like this chapter, let me know what you think in the comments box, yeah? The next chapter should be up pretty soon and I wanted to give a huge thank you to the faithful readers! You guys are awesome and my motivation to keep this story going, so thank you for that! Okay, enough of the soft stuff. I do want to wish everyone a Happy Turkey Day! :) LET'S GET READIN'! Enjoy guys!

- Jess

      Chapter Twenty-Two

      Trust Issues

      I had left shortly after my outburst towards Hermione. I apologized first, telling her I would see her in school, wishing her a happy Christmas and then walked out of the shop towards the street. Finding a small ally, I apparated back to the Manor. I prayed that Draco hadn't come to check up on me yet. Surely enough, my luck always runs out at the worst times. 

      Draco had been waiting for me in my room, pacing the floor, chewing on his fingernail. As soon as the pop had ceased, he turned around fully, his eyes filled with both relief and anger. "Kimber! Where the bloody hell have you been?!" his question sounded more like a command to answer. "I've been so worried! I thought something happened to you!" 

      I hadn't said anything still, just standing there less than a foot away from Draco, undoing my scarf and grabbing my discarded pajamas to change. I smoothed my hair back, sighing. "Draco, please step out for a moment. I need to change."

      I didn't meet his eyes, I simply took an undying interest in my pajama pants, waiting for him to move. He was hesitant, but I watched as his dress shoes led him out the door, shutting it softly. I felt the sudden urge to scream, to kick something, punch a wall... but I didn't. Containing myself after just a few deep breaths, I regained control and changed back into my pajamas. 

      Draco knocked a few minutes later, asking if the coast was clear. That almost made me laugh. Almost. "Come in," I simply said, my body lying across my bed. My face was staring at the wall, my back to the rest of the room as I cuddled with a blanket, listening to every move that Draco made. 

      A dip in the mattress triggered a sigh from me. "Kimber," Draco started, his voice serious but gentle. "Where did you go?" 

      I felt as if I was at a lose lose situation here, if I told him where I went, he would get angry. If I lied to him, he would get angry. I had to pick which one was best... option A was the winner. "I..." deep breath. "I went to go see Hermione in my old town. The coffee shop there, I have some old family friends... I asked her to meet me there so we could talk. But... things got out of hand and I left," there, that was good. Short, sweet, and to the point... so why did it still feel like the sting of guilt was piercing through my skin?I told him the truth, so why does it feel horrible?

      Draco remained silent for a few moments, pondering the information I just fed to him. Through the mattress, I felt his body stiffen as he began to speak softly. "What got out of hand?" Another simple, but difficult question.

      My tongue licked my lips before I spoke. "I-I don't know if I should say," I really thought about lying then. I would be risking a lot, Hermione's offer with the Army, telling her about Draco. I don't know exactly how he would handle that. He would probably go totally crazy about the fact that I was talking to Hermione about him... but who else was I going to talk to? Luna wouldn't really listen, Moose would brush it off... so Hermione was the only choice. And now that has shattered because of what the encounter produced. She didn't approve of Draco, I don't think any of them did deep down.