Chapter 23: Blood Quills Short Lived

Hey guys! I want to first say a Happy New Year to all of my faithful readers. I have made a New Year's resolution to write and update more often and I will do my best to make that a reality. I want to thank you guys for staying patient with me as I write this story. I really do appreciate it and all of the love and support I am getting from you guys. There is an important note at the end of the chapter so please do read that, it is more of a personal note that I made for you guys. So, if you read that I would really appreciate that. I do apologize for being way off schedule. I know that I promised to get better at updating consistently. I won't even bother making and excuse, I have just flat out been neglecting the story. Kimber has finally just had enough and seemed to hex me into next year. Alright, I won't keep you guys any longer. I hope you enjoy! :) LET'S GET READIN'!

- Jess

      Chapter Twenty Three

      Blood Quills Short Lived

       The next few weeks were very weird and unpredictable. Draco and I had been keeping our distances from each other. I guess he suspected that I had made my decision and was sticking to it. He had been so calm about everything that I seemed to consider the possibility that I was going insane because of how he had been acting a few hours before I went to the Army lessons. I had still considered not going to the meeting that was being held today after classes, but I had somehow talked myself into agreeing to go.

      Rumors from the Inquisitorial Squad circulated around the school as they claimed to have been watching us and figuring out where we were practicing the spells. Umbridge made it her top priority to make sure to bring us down, Filch joining in as he teamed up with the boys from the Squad. Amongst those boys was Draco.

      It broke my heart knowing that he was so passionate about the destruction of the Army. But I kept my mouth shut, turning the other way when he approached for fear that I would give something away. The Squad had been eavesdropping on the claimed Army participant's conversations in hope to catch where the next meeting would be, but we were all very careful to monitor what we said and to keep our conversations short and to the point.

      The Room of Requirement had helped us with defenses when the Squad became hot on our tracks, giving us a side exit when Umbridge ordered Filch to sit in front of the wall that she thought was the entrance to our lair. We were all able to sneak away without being seen by anyone. However, things really cracked down when the boys of the Squad and Filch followed Luna as she skipped down the hall to get to the meeting. They saw the door erupt from the wall and attempted to run into it. However, the RR knew better, shrinking the door down to a broom closet. I couldn't help but smile as I heard Draco ranting about it to his Slytherin sidekicks. Even then I felt his icy stare on my back as I continued to work on my homework. If helping out my friends was right, why did I feel like I was betraying Draco? and myself?

      "Keep trying, guys! I know you can do it," Harry encouraged us as we all practiced the Patronus charm yet again as we had been doing for many weeks now. The week before we had mixed in some more defensive spells such as Reducto and Stupefy. It was really fun to practice on the dummies as they would either burst into little flecks of dust or propel themselves back against the wall.

      We all then continued on with the Patronus, watching the light blue mist like spell shoot out of the tip of each wand. Ginny smiled as her horse galloped around the room. "Fantastic, Ginny!" Harry exclaimed.