Shy Girl

Credence Barebone x Reader (Golden Trio Era)

Being shy and socially insecure was incredibly frustrating for you. It took a toll on you each passing day, effecting relationships you could’ve had if you’d just spoken up or friendships that had the foundation to grow into unbreakable bonds but didn’t. The root of it all was how physically impossible it was for you to say certain things or act on actions you wanted to fulfill. It was so hard and you were dangling by a thread, nearing losing all hope in conquering your social fears.

Credence Barebone was a boy who made your palms sweaty and heart race. If he spoke to you, your face would burn badly and you could never seem to carry the conversations on due to nerves. You liked him more than you could physically and mentally fathom, but nothing ever happened between the two of you because you couldn’t function around him. You didn’t know how to act or what to say when his kind brown eyes were on you, smiling gently and in the least judging way possible.

The young Gryffindor always knew how shy and sweet you were.

He noticed the little things that you did when you felt uncomfortable or bashful and he could feel his feelings for you growing. Credence Barebone was falling hard and very, very rapidly but he couldn’t seem to stop it. He adored the way your cheeks tinged pink when he talked to you, when you let your y/h/c locks fall as if it were a curtain over the rosiness of your face, and how incredibly sweet you were to anyone– even if they’d been the nastiest human being to you. Credence was drawn to you like a moth to a flame.

As you were sitting at the table beside his in Transfiguration, you could feel his eyes flickering to you frequently. As much as you tried to ignore him, you could never find it within yourself to do so. Not to mention, Luna kept nudging you in the ribs and giggling - making your cheeks burn even though a wide smile was on your face. It was absolutely impossible to ignore him because you were crazy about him.

It was about the twentieth time Luna elbowed you and having had enough, you pinched her arm. “I swear to Merlin, Lovegood. I will push you off the Astronomy tower if you don’t stop.”

She ignored you, knowing you were about as harmless as a fly. She rubbed at her arm when you had pinched her. “Why don’t you just ask him out?” Luna muttered and began to scribble onto the parchment when Professor McGonagall shot her a stern look.

Your eyes practically bugged out from your skull. “Are you kidding, Luna? You know I can’t do that,” You moaned and frustratingly ran your fingers through your y/h/c locks, only for them to fall into your face again.

“Alright then. I’ll just get Credence to ask you out,” Luna replied with nonchalance, her blue eyes remaining downwards at her work.

“What?” You squeaked.

“Oh come on, Y/N,” Luna groaned. “You like him and he obviously likes you. Are you just gonna admire him from afar, dreaming of ‘what if’?”

“I dunno.” You picked at your nails, suddenly glum. “That’s what I’ve always done with guys I like.”

Luna dropped her quill, her blue irises soft and gentle. Her hand rose to comfortingly drag her fingers through your hair before she tucked a chunk behind your ear. “Credence likes you a lot, trust me. It’ll happen sooner or later because you’re sweet and beautiful. How could any guy resist?”

The two of you giggled softly before returning to the assignment, the topic of conversation taking a much lighter turn.

Credence sat a desk over on the opposite aisle. His work was completed and all of his things sat neatly stacked, ready for the end of the day which rapidly approached. George was perched beside him with his feet kicked up onto the desk as his hand moved quickly, scribbling the answers whilst his gaze flickered between his own paper and Credence’s. Normally the dark haired boy would’ve smacked George upside the head and tuck his parchment away from sight, but he was too  with ideas of how he could possibly ask you out on a date. His right leg was bouncing subconsciously, bottom lip nearly having blood drawn from his teeth, and to say he was stressing was an understatement.

A coffee date or to the bookstore? Perhaps you’d rather go to The Three Broomsticks for a butter beer? Madam Puddifoot’s Tea Shop was always a plausible option for a romantic date but–

“Merlin, Credence. I don’t think I’ve ever seen you think so hard,” George joked and nudged the anxious boy.

Slipping his square frames from his face and onto the table, Credence sighed and rubbed his eyes as his elbows rested on his knees. “I think I’m going mad,” He grumbled.

George smirked and quirked a dark brow. “Lemme guess. Sweet Y/N has got your wand in a knot again?”

“She does not,” He protested, but his rosy cheeks said otherwise.

“Alright. Whatever you say, mate.” George grinned and tipped his head in your direction, eyes roaming your frame hunched over your desk. “I can see why you like her. She’s quite a pretty bird, isn’t she?”

Credence shifted uncomfortably and socked the ginger haired boy in the arm. “She’s not a bird.” He rolled his eyes and nearly growled when Credence teasingly looked you over to mess with him. “Bloody hell. Stop looking at her like she’s a piece of meat.”

George merely cackled. “Just ask her out already…or I will.”

That earned George another rough punch to the bicep, leaving Credence more ruffled than he was before about the whole situation.

Dinnertime rolled around and Credence was still drowning in his thoughts. He couldn’t focus on anything else but you and he swore he was going to go insane if he didn’t make you his. He tried not to look at you and fall even more in love with your smile, but it was physically impossible. When you were in the same room as Credence, it was like everyone else was in black and white while you were standing front and center in screaming color.

“Credence Barebone,” Luna’s shrill voice spat, making the alarmed boy look at her stern blue eyes. “If you don’t go over to her and ask her out, I will dump every single book you own in the Black Lake.”

He groaned in response and nervously raked his fingers through his messy hair. “I can’t just ask Y/N out. She’s so bloody gorgeous and Merlin, her eyes.” He shoved his face in his hands so his voice came out muffled. “I’m mad for her and she doesn’t even know it.”

Luna’s distinctive giggle met Credence’s ears. “I think she does now,” She hummed and tried to conceal a budding smile.

Twisting his body around to look behind him, he saw you standing in your uniform skirt and button-up shirt and his face turned to a brighter shade of red than Ron Weasley's hair. Your face had the same fate as his and butterflies were fluttering crazily in your belly. While you clasped your hands together behind your back nervously, Credence shot up from the table and stood before you – his brown eyes blazing and hair a wild mess atop his head. His words were repeating like a broken record in your head; I’m mad for her. I’m mad for her.

He was mad for you and you were crazily mad for him.

“Y/N,” Credence said in a breathy whisper. He shoved his hands in his pockets, praying to the God above that you hadn’t noticed he was shaking. “Y-You, uh, heard that didn’t you?”

You nodded, a small smile quirking your lips upward. You subconsciously fiddled with the hem of your skirt and he knew you felt uncomfortable.

“Well, I really—I want you to—uh—“

“For Godric’s sake, Credence. Ask her out already!” George groaned.

Credence took a deep breath and with a flushed face, he turned to you again. “Will you go on a date with me? We can go get coffee or whatever you’d like, love.”

Shy giggles elicited from your mouth and you looked into his warm brown eyes that made you feel more special than ever. “Yes, I will, Credence.”

The relief on his face nearly made you giggle again. When he took you into his arms, your heart pounded erratically and your cheeks blazed at his friends hooting rambunctiously whilst Luna beamed at her work well done.

“Merlin, I can’t believe I just did that,” Credence mumbled into your hair, making you giggle. The sound brought a wide smile to his face and he squeezed you tighter.

“I’m glad you did,” You whispered into his shirt.

“Me too, love.”