Change (syd barrett)

you had remembered falling in love with him. how could you forget? the beautiful, 19 year old boy. he was charming, the most joyful man you had ever met. but how did you ever know how many things could happen in 2 years...

- You had been introduced to Syd in the summer of 1965 by your older brother Roger. Roger had been in a band called the 'Tea Set' with a few of his other friends Richard and Nick.

You met up with your brother one day while he was rehearsing, suprised that there was another musician playing with them. Roger had introduced the both of you.

"I'm Rog Barrett," he said, "people call me Syd."

He stretched out his hand to shake yours and smiled.

"Y/N," you replied with a grin.

You were taken aback from his beauty. His scruffy hair fit him and his eyes were beautiful.

After rehearsals that day, Syd had come up to you and asked you out for a coffee. You absolutely agreed to the offer.

Following the meet-up, you and Syd walked to his parents house where he showed you a few of his paintings.

"They're amazing Syd!" You said, looking at the canvases. You could tell that he was beyond proud of his work.

After a while of getting to know Syd, Roger brought you home a letter after one of his rehearsals.

"Its from Syd," he grinned, handing you the paper. You reached to grab it, but Roger quickly snatched it away from you and ripped open the envelope.

"Roger!" you screamed, chasing him around the house. You ran after him and followed him up the stairs, where he stopped and unfolded the paper.

“This is a letter to tell you that I think you're very pretty and that you looked marvellous on Saturday-" he started reading, smiling ear-to-ear.

"Stop!" You yelled, swiping the letter out of his hand. You then ran to your room and locked the door, sitting down on your bed to read the rest.

“I can't stop thinking about you," you began reading where Roger left off, "I'm in love with you. You made such an impression on me that I drew a picture of you. I don't like love letters but I had to tell you what I feel.”

You couldn't help but blush at Syd's writing, it made your stomach fill up with butterflies.

You had fallen in love with him too.

~*~*~

November 1967

You made your way to the recording studio where the band was. They were now called 'Pink Floyd' after Syd had come up with the name.

Pink Floyd now had a bigger audience and you were beyond proud of your brother, along with Syd. They had now been to America, where they were on 'American Bandstand'.

But after all of their new success and popularity, something had changed.

It was Syd.

Roger had called you on a few occasions, about Syd doing drugs. It was very minor at first, nothing the rest of us hadn't done, but it quickly escalated.

Roger said that he would sometimes forget to bring his guitar to sessions and that he started to become withdrawn from the rest of the band.

Today you had come to the studio to end things with Syd. Though you weren't very close over the past couple months, you had never officially broken up, and you were well overdue to. You had begun to see less and less of Syd, and you couldn't even remember the last time he said 'I love you'.